Where have I been?

Shamsy

Good morning everyone, 

I've been absent for a long time. Just a quick post to let you know what's been going on. Thought I'd pop it here as this is my beloved section. Feel free to move it, Brian. Twofold;

I've not really been feeling very passionate about my collecting for a while now. I have a complete collection, bar something new being discovered or those elusive Type 32 conversions surfacing. I guess that's the natural conclusion to collecting. The chase is exciting, but once you hit the finish, the question is 'what next?

Secondly, I got double scammed by Enemy Militaria.  Fool me once, fool me twice, you know the drill. Not really unexpected, it's happened before and would happen again. I've usually been able to resolve it, just the nature of things. However, it put a sour taste I my mouth and you could call it 'the straw that broke the camels back'. I've met a few reputable, upstanding dealers over the years. I've met more of the other kind though. Some outright scammers and liars like in this instance, but also dealers that are willing to omit small details that would make a difference overall. It's still dishonest.

So without much drive and with something like this happening, I've just ignored the hobby. I have many others to focus on. I tried to sell the collection a couple of times, but the problem with a large collection is that it's too large to sell easily! I'm also wracked with indecision. Will I regret it? Why even sell, since I don't need the money?

So hopefully things will change, but I may not be around for a long time. I just wanted to let you fine folks know why, since there are some absolutely amazing gentlemen here and I can truly say it's been an absolute pleasure to contribute over the years. Hope to find my feet again. We will see.

My absolute best wishes, sincerely, Steve

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

Steve so sorry to read your post. I have been a military collector for more than 50 years and have had a few bad experiences, I have been one of the lucky ones. About 14 years ago I got my first Japanese Gunto and found this GREAT FORUM. I have only met a few of the members in person but ALL that I have dealt with here have always been GREAT. I set up a table at the Orlando Japanese Show and have always been treated like an old friend. In all my years of collecting I have never been treated better than fellow Japanese Sword collectors have treated me. Sorry that you have seen the worst side of this and can only hope that you can hang in there. I am sure that you have made many friends here and know those that are stand up. Maybe just step back a little and participate from the background but stay involved. If you ever just want someone to vent to or BS with pm me and we can have some good conversation. I am one of the good guys and proud of it. Hang in there buddy and try and look at the good times you had. 
   MikeR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Steve,

SO glad to 'see' you again!!!  Your presence here at NMB is quite valued by a great many of us.  I stopped collecting several years ago, but have "found my thrill", as the song goes, just being part of this great group of people.  And you're one of the Greats! 

I had been assuming your absence was due to Life events, kids, family, etc.  Sorry to hear about the Bad Actor experience.  Please don't let a turd like that cause us all to lose out on your company here.  

On the Up-side - since you're not collecting anymore, maybe it's time to start writing that Type 95 book we've all been waiting for!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve, I too have been absent from the forum for many months, and your description of where you are in your collecting rings a familiar bell. BUT, I am twice your age, and my thoughts lead me to wonder what happens to my collection when God finally calls "last drinks". I am sure my kids will ring some junk shop, or worse, will order a dumpster. 

Like you, I have over the years accumulated every make, model and variety of WW2 era swords, using "Dawson" as a guide, and then some! 

If you don't need the money, and in good health, hold off for a while and maybe sell a sword or two, just to understand the market, this has been my methodology over the past couple of years. 

Anyway, what ever you decide to do, its been great interacting with you on the forum, and many communications on other media. I do like Bruce's idea of a book, at least take top quality photos and record the information just in case some one else can use it. Best wishes.  

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I get that. I don't actively collect much anymore, once you get past the phase where you will accept anything, you lose interest in those project blades and discover that you can't afford to buy anything that would interest you. So I just enjoy what I have, and watch other' progress, and just appreciate what is out there.
But you're welcome to hang out and just socialize here, we have a nice bunch of guys and sometimes the banter is nice.
Wish you well, and hope you'll find your niche and maybe take some joy in guiding others. Hope we see you around here.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hi Steve,

I'm glad that you're well. I'm in a similar position - as Brian put it pretty well, my interest drifted after I realised I couldn't afford stuff that I thought worth collecting. I do have fun hanging out on here and contributing to the off-topic threads though.

Best wishes,

John

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian said:

I get that. I don't actively collect much anymore, once you get past the phase where you will accept anything, you lose interest in those project blades and discover that you can't afford to buy anything that would interest you. So I just enjoy what I have, and watch other' progress, and just appreciate what is out there.

THIS hits the nail on the head for me! Thank you for putting it in writing, summing up my position in collecting right now.

@Shamsy Stay with us! Your input is a valuable tool for those of us that have not quite hit that point of getting every type and make in our collection. You are NOT alone in your collecting position!  

Wishing you all the best!

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..