Las Vegas Sword Show Jan 26-27, 2024

I am only sharing a table with Roger Robershaw since there is not much I'm wanting to sell/trade at this time. I will still probably bring some of my favorites, but keep them in the case under the table. Some things I WILL be bringing for sale or trade is;

Navy tanto with leather saya. Basic standard type.

Navy 1883 pattern kyugunto parade saber with same' skin saya (in excellent shape) with chrome plated blade in good-very good condition.

Navy black leather belt for holding either the tanto or the parade saber.

Navy Type 97 wakizashi with brownish sharkskin saya and brass tsuba and brass "rayed" dai-seppa. Nakago signed by sandai Kanesada. Blade is in fair condition but could use a good polish.

^^Just realized I have alot of Navy stuff!^^

I have some Paul Chen replica arrowheads that have been mounted into bamboo shafts with brown/white feathers, if anyone is interested. If no interest, I would rather not transport to protect the feathers.

I may bring 2 matchlock pistols...if anyone is interested. 

Dan

@Stephen Last year at this show, I had a beautiful Navy kyugunto (literally museum quality) with a papered koto blade to Uda Kunimune. I had been looking for a nice quality piece like this for about a year prior and had only owned this for about 3 months. I did not plan to sell it so I put (what I thought) was a stupid  high price on it. I just laid it on the table and a guy offered me $1000 less than my asking price. I told him I am firm on the price. He said OK and started counting out 100's...I was like oh crap, what did I just do? I sold one of my favorite  pieces and may not be able to find another! Lucky for me I was able to find another about 3 months ago, that I actually like even more.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

With around 13 of us, and likely a few stragglers picked up at the show, maybe it's time to formulate a plan where we will be eating?
That amount of people may need a reservation, and not just a walk in. Are there any suggestions?
I'll go for the overall consensus, but my pick based on a fixed price (so no surprises) AYCE that seems to have ok sushi would be Yama Sushi on the strip. Not far away so we should be able to get there with 2 or 3 cars, or sharing Ubers.
https://www.yamasush....com/copy-of-m-e-n-u

Takes reservations, and a large variety of cooked and raw food, and a choice of 2 set prices.
But let's hear from others what they suggest? I don't think many of us have Nobu budgets :rotfl:
I think we can do a little better than Western based chains.
What time does the show end at night, and can someone who did it last year suggest a good time?

2 hours ago, Brian said:

With around 13 of us, and likely a few stragglers picked up at the show, maybe it's time to formulate a plan where we will be eating?
That amount of people may need a reservation, and not just a walk in. Are there any suggestions?
I'll go for the overall consensus, but my pick based on a fixed price (so no surprises) AYCE that seems to have ok sushi would be Yama Sushi on the strip. Not far away so we should be able to get there with 2 or 3 cars, or sharing Ubers.
https://www.yamasush....com/copy-of-m-e-n-u

Takes reservations, and a large variety of cooked and raw food, and a choice of 2 set prices.
But let's hear from others what they suggest? I don't think many of us have Nobu budgets :rotfl:
I think we can do a little better than Western based chains.
What time does the show end at night, and can someone who did it last year suggest a good time?

with that size of a party, perhaps a buffet at one of the hotel restaurants may be appropriate?

• Thanks 1

Show shuts down at 6pm. Give everyone about 45 minutes to 1 hour to freshen-up and meet in the lobby for the cars...say 7pm. Make reservations for 7:30. We should arrive before that time, but better to be early. Wife and I are good with Yama Sushi...especially with it being All You Can Eat.

@mdiddy Matt  @owazamono Eric

You two good with 7:30 Friday the 26th? Also need to know if Eric is bringing his wife. I've hung out with him at three different shows now, heard about his wife, but have never met her. Talk about keeping the good stuff hidden! lol

• Haha 2

I'm going to ask about a reservation for 7:30 for about 15. Pretty sure there will be others at the show who will join us.
All ok with the venue? If they aren't available we can look at options again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nulldevice said:

…is there anything I need to bring to this show…

Well, other than $$$ :thumbsup: I find it helpful to bring my own microfiber cloth to rest a blade on while viewing (always ask first to make sure person behind table is ok with you using your own cloth), a mekugi punch (although you can usually borrow one) and if you need any ‘help’ seeing up close (cheater glasses, magnifying glass, etc).  I always make sure to have a couple extra pairs of cheater glasses just in case.  The last thing I want is to be at the show and not be able to see! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

Well, other than $$$ :thumbsup: I find it helpful to bring my own microfiber cloth to rest a blade on while viewing (always ask first to make sure person behind table is ok with you using your own cloth), a mekugi punch (although you can usually borrow one) and if you need any ‘help’ seeing up close (cheater glasses, magnifying glass, etc).  I always make sure to have a couple extra pairs of cheater glasses just in case.  The last thing I want is to be at the show and not be able to see! 

I'm young and still thankfully have good eyesight! I was wondering if a microfiber is good enough (with permission) or if I needed a different special cloth.  I don't have a mekugi punch yet. IDK if I should get one before hand or not. I've watched the videos on removing the pin and how to remove the blade from the shirasaya or tsuka so hopefully that helps a little bit. 

42 minutes ago, nulldevice said:

I'm young and still thankfully have good eyesight! I was wondering if a microfiber is good enough (with permission) or if I needed a different special cloth.  I don't have a mekugi punch yet. IDK if I should get one before hand or not. I've watched the videos on removing the pin and how to remove the blade from the shirasaya or tsuka so hopefully that helps a little bit. 

IMHO just viewing to learn activity in blade I'd not consider removing tsuka.

If buying , it's different story. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

IMHO just viewing to learn activity in blade I'd not consider removing tsuka.

If buying , it's different story. 

Thanks Stephen. I've got a budget set aside to purchase a blade but my biggest holdup is not knowing enough to make a knowledgeable decision yet. So my main focus is seeing the activity in blades and learning by attending. If there is any particular blade that seems to stand out, and it is worth picking up, I'll strongly consider it. 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, nulldevice said:

If there is any particular blade that seems to stand out, and it is worth picking up, I'll strongly consider it. 

Good Good, many members in attendance so get to know some and ask for their opinions. 

If you pick up one and you feel energy up you arm I'd give a hard look.

Looking forward to your find.

I've made a provisional booking for 15 people for 7:30 on Friday for 15 people. Yama sushi, the strip. Unless there are some that absolutely don't want to go there, I'll consider that the current plan? Feel free to add anyone else who wants to join.

• Like 2

Luckily not a buffet. Buffet sushi is worse than average. Here you order from the menu and they make it and bring it out per 2pc. Buffet style is dodgy. I expect it will be firmly average, but nice variety and lots of cooked food for those who don't do sushi.
I have another place bookmarked to try if I get a chance. http://hiroyoshi702.com
Had a lovely omakase in NY, I think it was called Sushi W, and was very affordable and good.
One week until we leave. Time is flying.

56 minutes ago, Brian said:

Here you order from the menu and they make it and bring it out per 2pc. 

So happy to hear that.

Thinking of the wait staff...x15 ppl.

Proper tip is in order.  Don't be a Mr.  PINK guys lol

Hi,

This is Yurie. 

My husband and I would like to join you at the Friday dinner at 7:30.

Please add us to the dinner gathering.

We will be driving, so we have 3 spaces (may be tight) for anybody who needs a ride to the restaurant.

Looking forward

Yurie 

• Like 2