Biographical information on Willis M. Hawley

Does anyone know of any biographical information on Willis M. Hawley -- profiles, news or magazine articles, etc. -- concerning his contributions to the study of Japanese swords? From what I have seen, his contribution has been great and enduring, but I am wondering if he has been covered by media or any other sources. I am combing through the posts that mention him on this site, but have not yet encountered any formal coverage of his life and his work. Internet searches have yielded a couple reports of the (very sad) thefts of his swords, but not much else; the biography on his website is quite brief. Before I hit the library, I am hoping that someone may be aware of an article or two on him. Thank you in advance!

From memory, Hawley's wife or daughter took over his book shipping after his death. Again from memory she did it from his address of

8200 Gould Ave.

Hollywood,

Calif. 90046.

Maybe drop a note to that address and see if you get a reply?

Might be worth a try...

Regards.

• Like 1

I remember talking to Fred Lohman a ways back about this. I can’t believe that somebody attacked him at his home beat him up and robbed him. He was such a nice man to others and apparently was taken advantage of. He was so open and sharing of his knowledge and collection to others. It saddens me thinking about it. He didn’t deserve that…

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to Willis Hawley . The second biggest advancement  that I made in my collecting was when Hawleys Japanese Swordsmith books arrived in the mail.

If you can get your hands on the Token society of Great Britain Progeramme No 78 there is an eleven page article , Willis Hawley Tells All . In the article Willis writes about his collecting journey and it is a fascinating read . In the same programmme there is an article by Graeme Curtis that describes his visit to Hawleys house . 

The JSSUS Newsletter of January 1988 has an obituary and early photograph of Willis . I have always kept a couple of letters that he wrote to me in about 1973- 1974 .

Ian Brooks

• Like 9

I had a lengthy correspondence with Willis Hawley over many years and echo Ian Brooks' sentiments.  I tips me hat to Ian's near instant recall of where information about Willis can be found.  It would take me 'forever' to find that in my own resources.  Willis had a niece who collected stamps and I would send him Australian stamps from time to time.  He was an amazing gentleman with an extraordinary generosity.  His stories about collecting and the things he acquired stick in my mind.  A gold mounted tachi for $200 was one of them.  Even so long ago it was a stunning price for an incredible sword.  I bled for him when his collection was stolen.  Vale Willis who did so much for the English speaking world of Nihontou.

BaZZa.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Years ago while visiting my cousin who lived in California, we arranged a visit to meet Mr. Hawley in person. My cousin is a master carpenter. Little did I  know that Hawley was also a collector of antique tools. My cousin, loved the visit and the breadth of his collection. I bought some more books. Back in those days we wrote letters to one another. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...

I stumbled across Hawley's books in my Dad's library - which are now part of my Nihonto journey ( @Bazza - I am still looking up from the bottom of the well and it's still dark!)

I Googled his street address and amazingly his website is still operational, link: http://www.wmhawley.com/ 

I also saw a real estate link and the empty house is sad to see considering how "overflowing" the house was when he resided there.

Link: https://www.zillow.c...90046/20797595_zpid/

Thanks @Ian B3HR2UH for posting about his story being in a newsletter of the Token society of Great Britain. I found the link of that newsletter and his story is fascinating to say the least!

I have attached the newsletter here.

@Ian B3HR2UH - you mentioned that the second biggest advancement that you made in collecting was Hawleys books - would love to know what the first advancement was! 

Programme 78 January-February 1974.pdf

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

HI Mark , meeting Barry Thomas was the first big step . 

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian.  Meeting Barry and sharing a bottle (or two or more!) of red (SA of course!) is on my list! @Bazza

Thanks for being part of my big step journey! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

HI Mark , meeting Barry Thomas was the first big step . 

Regards Ian

@ian B3R2UH @darthlaker

Where's the 'Awww, shucks' emoji??  Wonderful people and the Nihontou community worldwide have been the second big step in my life.  The first was meeting and marrying my Darling Wife, who 'Lets me' (collect Nihontou!!!).  Hats off to yo'all.

Barry Thomas

aka BaZZa.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

@ian B3R2UH @darthlaker

Where's the 'Awww, shucks' emoji??  Wonderful people and the Nihontou community worldwide have been the second big step in my life.  The first was meeting and marrying my Darling Wife, who 'Lets me' (collect Nihontou!!!).  Hats off to yo'all.

Barry Thomas

aka BaZZa.

Cheers Barry,

You have a darling wife indeed who allows you to collect Nihonto......make sure you behave yourself or she may try Tameshi-giri on you....! :)

• Haha 1