Presentation Nihonto from Imperial Japan to the Third Reich

Here is a very interesting video discussing swords gifted to Nazi leadership by Imperial Japan. I wonder if anyone on this forum has knowledge of the particulars of these swords? Who forged them? Where are they now? Only one of the swords mentioned in the video is known today, but there were no details given. The sword is pictured in the video and is in Gunto koshirae. 

https://youtu.be/KwvO1sOuuoA

this Tanto was found in the late the 1990 in "Schwabing, Muinch"and has been in my collection for a few years

"Gift to General Eugen, German Ott Ambassador in Japan from 1938-1942"

made by Watanabe Kanenaga

at that time I had send the Tanto to Japan ( NBTHK

20230116_072845 (1).jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Nearly 40 years ago I wrote to Manfred Rommel to ask him if he knew what had happened to his father's Japanese sword.  In a friendly reply he told me that it had been looted along with other items by American troops in 1945.  Regards Rommel's gallantry awards, they were kept in a vault and verified as such by British author David Irving.  Rommel's caravan was and still might be in the Imperial War Museum.  In which was displayed a portrait photograph of Rommel, placed there by Bernard Montgomery.  Apparently Montgomery put the caravan to good use and used it himself for the duration of the war.

Mick 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Flynn said:

Ikkansai Shigetsugu, also was commissioned  to make a sword for Hitler.   Clive Sinclair, is now the owner after being in the Han Biong Song collection.

That is the one I was thinking about. I remember reading the UK Club notes and finding it an extremely interesting writeup.

Also, the Han Bin Song collection was an interesting one.

I did not remember that the one owned by Mr. Sinclair was by Ikkansai Shigetsugu. That makes me more eager to see it again, so I think I have to go digging through my older files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..