Scary Tsuba

Okan

5 minutes ago, Spartancrest said:

Piers should we be scared of the Hannya mask on that tsuba - or the patchy patina? :o

Just a message to Chris (Vajo)re his tsuba on the previous page! 

Oh, and yes, if you read the legend of the Momiji-gari kabuki play, you should be scared! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dan tsuba said:

It is only a tsuba with a snake motif!

To a samurai that lived with the reality that any given day might be his last, even the simple things like a tsuba was something meaningful and a reminder to appreciate the moment. Your indifference here is blaring to say the least.

Edited by Franco D
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Franco D said:

To a samurai that lived with the reality that any given day might be his last, even the simple things like a tsuba was something meaningful and a reminder to appreciate the moment. Your indifference here is blaring to say the least.

An old book I read depicted Tsuba as " Samurai's only jewellery that he could show" 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2016 at 10:15 PM, Ron STL said:

Here is an interesting snake motif tsuba with a difficult to read (very difficult for me!) that I thought would be interesting to discuss. The tsuba, which appears to be brass, is beautifully carved and a rather exciting motif. The owner said he had noted: Ichi Ryu Ken shu jin Kizasmu and  also, Hagiya Katsuhira Seiriken, in his records. He has been away from tosogu for many years, so I'm not sure how accurate any of this is. Comparing this tsuba with a similar tsuba in Dr. T's Toso Soran (which appears to be the work of the Master tsubako), the book example looks more "flowing" in form that the one in hand. While this tsuba appeals to me, it is of the type of kinko I've never had much experience in. Can anyone identify the maker and/or care to comment on it, good or bad?

Ron STL

post-1311-0-64236300-1457990073_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-84218800-1457990086_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-91125000-1457990095_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-68611900-1457990115_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-91842400-1457990136_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-14613800-1457990154_thumb.jpg

An old tread with some interesting snakes as well as information on their creators.

Shows again the depth and value of this NMB forum. By just reading some of the post’s here I constantly find my self enriched with new knowledge. Knowledge I didn’t even know I needed in the first place 😂👍

/Soren

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mustn't forget that you only need to walk through a Japanese House of Horrors to discover that what is scary to Westerners and scary to the Japanese, are not 100% the same.

There is for example a common subliminal fear of dolls here, (like some in the West fear clowns?), and many everyday objects need to be collected up and sent off to a temple for 'purifiication' from tatari or the wrath of angry spirits.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

6 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Mustn't forget that you only need to walk through a Japanese House of Horrors to discover that what is scary to Westerners and scary to the Japanese, are not 100% the same.

There is for example a common subliminal fear of dolls here, (like some in the West fear clowns?), and many everyday objects need to be collected up and sent off to a temple for 'purifiication' from tatari or the wrath of angry spirits.

Fear of Dolls! Not just for the Japanese, I got this one some years ago and put him on display every so often. More than once I have been asked to turn him away from people because he makes them uncomfortable.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jeremy I recognise one of those tsuba images -

Japanese HUMOR.
by
C. NETTO  &  G. WAGENER.
Published 1901

"Even the Kappa dances with the 'Nirame kura' in its swamp with an old, half-rotten tree trunk, for which a plant leaf has replaced the sticking out tongue." (Fig. 184)

[ This book deals specifically with Japanese humor, some of the illustrations shown are humorous themes for designs used on tsuba.]

That fake tsuba is totally gross - and in a German "Gross" [Big] way!

Japanese humor 1 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Now the Kappa can be very scary - [keep your sphincters well and truly tight!] :laughing:

Kappa.jpg

Tsukioka Yoshitoshi, 'The heavy basket (Omoi tsuzura)' from the series 'New forms of thirty-six ghosts (Shingata sanjūrokkaisen)' (1892)

THE WATER-DWELLING, ORGAN-STEALING KAPPA

Oh look, here's the Look Over Monk — the one with the third eye. Now draw your gaze to the green, frog-like creature that appears to be lurking in a basket. That's a kappa. Kawakami says, the kappa appear in different forms and with different names like kawataro. If you bank in Japan, you may recognise the cheeky fella as the mascot of one of the country's leading banks. But don't be deceived, these water-dwelling yōkai have a sadistic story. It's said they reach inside human bodies through the rectum to snatch at your organs. 

• Like 2

I had googled ‘kappa tsuba’ because a little tanto tsuba I bought from Jimi-san has the same kappa/oni on it from the two above with the snakey arms and legs. I’m trying to figure out what kind of monster it is. I don’t think it’s a kappa because of the horns. 

18A72C1E-00E4-4DB2-97A7-9181022323EE.jpeg

• Love 1

After some more research into the above ‘monster’ that also happens to be portrayed on my recently acquired tsuba, I’m adding images and a caption from my trusty copy of ‘Legend in Japanese Art’ where Henri Joly identifies this as a rendition of a ‘dog of Mitsumine’ shrine. The Mitsumine shrine is actually affiliated with wolves (okami) as its protector kami. I can see it now with the shape of the legs. The fact that it’s portrayed as bipedal helped to throw me off the scent as to what it was. And then there’s the horns or maedate which I guess can be a symbol of divinity in this case? This is all assuming that Henri Joly’s assertion is correct. I’m definitely interested in further insight from members more knowledgeable than myself.

46CCBDE0-7307-4B2C-92FD-2D839543CFCA.jpeg

540E4AB0-E79F-465E-A28D-279392544B6D.jpeg

B1ADD035-F3CB-44B9-85E2-BD60E4EC85E7.jpeg

995D39B7-78E1-4E81-B015-FE84F79E1776.jpeg

7B77C64F-409E-4A6A-B423-0DA21361CA6D.jpeg

54D304A5-B58F-4E4F-832F-7B5FC2E19249.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The tsuba above (and possibly the previous ones) depicts  Tsuno Daishi - 角大師 (Horned Great Master), a manifestation of Ryōgen, the 18th chief abbot of Enryaku-ji in the 10th century. He is considered a restorer of the Tendai school of Mahayana Buddhism.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

When did Small pox become a fashion statement! No wonder people were put off by the bloody silly look of Doja Cat [bloody silly name as well!]

This kid didn't have to pay thousands of dollars for a dress up. :sad:

Perhaps the fashionista got confused with fashion-blister?                 :sorry: :offtopic:

Spoiler

Smallpox - Infections - MSD Manual Consumer Version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..