Kai Gunto tsuka question

Bencld

Hi all. Any clarification on the different style of ito wrap ? Apologies if this has been covered but I have long covid and it’s a chore to do anything so I didn’t do a search !! Mine is the top one and has the twisted wrap and the bottom one is a flat wrap ?

6EA7D4AD-FF5A-4BC0-AB5A-6A5019F33D48.jpeg

Hi Chris,

I believe the Ito can come in either flat (Tachi Tsukagashira Kake maki) or rolled (Tsumami maki).  Have a look at this great download courtesy of NMB member Edwolf from 2017.  

http://www.tsukamaki.net/PDF/ArtTsukamaki.pdf. 

I have a few and most are 'rolled'.  One 1942 Yoshishige with upgraded koshirae (nice) is flat and well used.

Interestingly, a later collection addition from Masashige has a bit of both same as your bottom pic (above).

Rob

20230105_191114.jpg

20230105_191134.jpg

• Wow 1

I am always wary when I see the Ito-maki style change along the length of the Tsuka, unless it's Katatamaki which usually starts and finishes with Hineri-maki.

I get really wary when I don't see a good finishing knot.... To me it indicates damage, and then repair by unskilled persons unable to rebind and finish properly, either from lack of skill, or lack of enough Ito.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Interesting. You can’t bank on standard in this game! 

My main thought in the difference between the two was that the flat wrap was a cheaper easier/quicker way to do it than the twisted one? Don’t know if that is true or not?

Chris.

8 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

There are statements claiming the flat wrap is weaker and more prone to coming apart compared to the traditional wrap. Considering how many of these in both style have survived 70+ years in perfect condition.....hard to make any conclusions. 

...And how many of those swords have been carried and used in the field over the last 70+ years?

If by flat-wrap you mean Hira Maki, it's the older style most often seen on Tachi, so could be considered higher status.

Researcher Nick Komiya (who recently passed) unearthed the original Japanese Navy specifications for the Kai Gunto. They called very specifically for the hira maki wrap with the knot on the edge of the tsuka.

Steve

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Greetings, 

Can anyone clarify if the black fabric same found on souvenir swords was also used on wartime production swords? And if so, when does this variation appear? I am referring to the sword pictured below, which is the Inaba sword I posted in the Arsenal Stamps thread. Thanks. 

Conway 

image.thumb.png.bbc0cee3861e99e7ff7f8bb278aa3a34.png

5 hours ago, Conway S said:

Can anyone clarify if the black fabric same found on souvenir swords was also used on wartime production swords?

Conway:

I believe the same' used on souvenirs is a type of celluloid, which they did use on some swords toward the end of the war.

John C.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:31 AM, Conway S said:

if the black fabric same found on souvenir swords was also used on wartime production swords?

Yes, I have seen the black fabric on wartime kaigunto, and I remeber one that was mid-war'ish on the date, which supriesed me because I had previously only seen the fabric on late-war swords.  As to yours, just from the picture, it looks like yours is painted/lacquered directly onto the wooded tsuka, which I've seen frequently on late-war kaigunto.  You have it in hand, though, can you tell if there is a layer of fabric that has been painted over?

18 hours ago, John C said:

Conway:

I believe the same' used on souvenirs is a type of celluloid, which they did use on some swords toward the end of the war.

John C.

John,

I, too, used to think that celluloid was a late-war invention, but it is seen on swords throughout the range of war years.  My Mantetsu, dated 1941, has it.  Also, do you have links or examples of celluloid on souvenir swords?  Don't think I've seen an example of that.  Not a criticism, just wondering.

Celluloid is made by mixing cellulose nitrate, camphor and ethanol together. At end of war there was no longer a celluloid industry in Japan. All three basic materials were hardly available anymore. The raw materials were urgently needed in the munitions factories and in medicine. I cannot imagine that the production of artificial ray skin would have been decisive for the war. ;-)

image.png.f789835c46313d98cec0b1cb4d9e055c.png

Celluloid wasn't cheap "plastic" as the most think when they see celluloid same. It was expensive. Surely much more expensive then normal "same" which everyday came in tons from Japanese fishmarkets.

Before the war 90% of the worldwide camphor came from the chinese island of Taiwan (Formosa). The camphor forests on the island was the base for the camphor production.

image.thumb.png.5087d5783943f159bccffb5908e534e1.png

During the war Japans movie and camera industrie use paper as replacement for celluloid.

You can find all those facts about celluloid in the net but the community is resitant against celluloid same and calls it cheap plastic. How many real celluloid did you have at home? And if it is cheap why it is not used anymore? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Bruce Pennington  It's the Inaba sword I posted in the Arsenal Stamps thread. I found it for sale online. I was just wondering if this set up would be considered late war because similar material is found on the souvenir swords. From the discussion above I see that it is not necessarily late war. Here is another close up of the same sword.

Conway 

image.thumb.png.ab54fb6cd5bdb0741303be8f71b4bcf6.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Conway S said:

I see that it is not necessarily late war

Yes, but I think this one you've posted most likely is late-war.  The blackened kabutogane, and painted same' (or rubber) are common characteristics of the late-war kaigunto.

Here's a pic from that link Thomas mentioned, thanks Thomas!

Screenshot2023-08-19215825.thumb.png.029c8682301c387896bd11c09d25d132.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..