tachi mount

12 hours ago, Okan said:

Amazing workmanship. But I think Kiri mon's were added later. They are just not in the same quality with the rest if you know what I mean.

It should have look something like this.

Hi Okan

Firstly….I’m not looking to pick a fight……there are too many going on on this Forum already!!🙂

However I cannot agree. The mon on this saya are superbly done in what looks like two colour gold lacquer (quite unusual for kirimon) with a bit of an eccentric touch by slightly increased curving of the flower shoots. Also the leaves have delicate detailing. The placement may look a odd but is dictated by the complex style of the metalwork ……far more complex than on the more standard koshirae you post.

On the one you post we can’t really see the individual quality of the mon.

My money is on “totally original”.

Best wishes. Colin

• Like 2

@Matsunoki@DoTanuki yokai

Dear Colin, 

I believe you do try to pick a fight! (Just joking, I don't know why but as you said so many fights going on these days! :)

Anyways, I didn't mean the quality about Kirimon itself, they are good. But the way they have applied..they are not on a straight line. Some how they seem like rotated a bit. So what I meant was the placement of the mons, not the quality(sometimes my english can be tricky) And of course the shakudo work is outstanding...But don't you think there is a chance that these mons were added later to gift a family sword to imperial family or Toyotomi's or something? Nevertheless, it's an amazing piece of art..

Here are some closer pictures of the other one. 

tametsugu-itomaki-no-tachi-koshirae6.jpg

tametsugu-itomaki-no-tachi-koshirae20.jpg

tametsugu-itomaki-no-tachi-koshirae3.jpg

tametsugu-itomaki-no-tachi-koshirae5.jpg

tametsugu-itomaki-no-tachi-koshirae8.jpg

• Like 1

I love tachi koshirae and the metalwork here is of high quality indeed!

I am also curious as to the atypical and artistic interpretations of the kiri depictions, which have very clearly deviated from the canon. You will notice that they are 5-7-5, 6-7-6 and also 9-9-9! 

Lovely koshirae anyway. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Okan said:

But the way they have applied..they are not on a straight line.

I agree, the placement is different but the presence of far more “metalwork” may have influenced that. I have an Itomaki No Tachi kirimon Tachi with similar “out of alignment” placement and it also has the far more complex metalwork on the saya (but not quite the same quality!)….top one in this quick image.

Bottom line, as with nearly all things Nihonto, we will never be certain……it’s all a matter of opinion

E894E5AB-6825-47A1-9822-557EF3A73AC6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 5

On 1/5/2023 at 12:00 PM, Matsunoki said:

I agree, the placement is different but the presence of far more “metalwork” may have influenced that. I have an Itomaki No Tachi kirimon Tachi with similar “out of alignment” placement and it also has the far more complex metalwork on the saya (but not quite the same quality!)….top one in this quick image.

Bottom line, as with nearly all things Nihonto, we will never be certain……it’s all a matter of opinion

E894E5AB-6825-47A1-9822-557EF3A73AC6.jpeg

Out of topic but I have never seen fur before? Bear Fur? Is there a story to this, special area in Japan where it was common or is it for specific occasions? Or just for fancy... Im a bit clueless here 😁

49 minutes ago, BjornLundin said:

Out of topic but I have never seen fur before? Bear Fur? Is there a story to this, special area in Japan where it was common or is it for specific occasions? Or just for fancy... Im a bit clueless here 😁

Hi Bjorn

I  posted this actual Tachi on the Forum a while ago…..how did you miss it🙂🙂🙂🙂?? Included some images showing that type worn and some research done by others. It’s all in this link- Best wishes. Colin

• Thanks 1

I understand that the fur covers were called shrisaya, and the different types of fur indicated rank. Lowest rank used black bear-fur, higher rank used tiger skin.  An example loaned to the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK turned out to be snow leopard !!!  - I've no idea what rank that indicated but can you imagine the reaction from Cites?

Ian Bottomley

• Haha 1

I agree Colin . From memory it was given to someone during the occupation and his family still owns it . My friend who showed it to me is keeping that information pretty close to his chest . No one commented on the same which I think is the finest piece that I have ever seen . The largest nodule appears to be carved ivory but the rest looks to be the real thing and is fantastic .

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..