Japanese Sword Appraisal

This sword is a wakizashi short sword as being between 30.3cm - 60.6cm in length. And is signed on the omote(front) side Nagasone Kotetsu Nyudo Okisato, who was a swordsmith active from around the Shoho period (1644-1648) to the Kanbun period (1661-1673)

I had this sword looked at from one of Australia's top Japanese sword experts. They gave me the devastating news that this sword is most likely a fake, as there are more fake Kotetsu swords in existence than there are authentic ones.

The last photograph clearly indicates the issues my expert had with this sword. I was just hoping that someone may be able to give me a second opinion on this. 

thumbnail_signature-notes.jpg

thumbnail_8.jpg

thumbnail_7.jpg

thumbnail_6.jpg

thumbnail_5.jpg

thumbnail_4.jpg

thumbnail_3.jpg

thumbnail_2.jpg

20220315_123706.jpg

thumbnail_1.jpg

20220315_123640.jpg

20220315_123617.jpg

20220315_123315.jpg

20220315_123329.jpg

20220315_123258.jpg

Yeah, it's gimei. Still a real sword. I bet 11 out of 10 Kotetsu are fake. :)
Focus on the sword itself and not the name. Just about all of us collectors have gimei swords (well..most)
Ignore the mei and enjoy the sword, and as you go along, maybe you'll get a better idea of who did make it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

And anonymous who added the remarks gave numerous points of attention, given signatures are carved in unique often charactistic ways. So while the specific names kanji differ over time, like handwriting can be identified.

As mentioned though gimei, big name. Might be a beautiful sword though! It does need some attention and tlc.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:14 AM, Brian said:

Yeah, it's gimei. Still a real sword. I bet 11 out of 10 Kotetsu are fake. :)
Focus on the sword itself and not the name. Just about all of us collectors have gimei swords (well..most)
Ignore the mei and enjoy the sword, and as you go along, maybe you'll get a better idea of who did make it.

I must admit that your approach leaves me speechless. How many Kotetsu are there in the world and how many gimei? Having said that, I wonder what can be appreciated on a non polished blade

There are so many fakes of Kotetsu that there is a saying that if you look at Kotetsu, you will think it is a fake.  However, since it has been repaired into a military sword and has a gold habaki attached, the previous owner must have treated the sword with care as Kotetsu.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..