ww2 captured swords need help identifying

hermanwolf jesse r

the signed sword has kitea ware if that helps im sorry for my ignorance i am new to Japanese sword terminology all i can say is there is something about this sword that excites me i love it wondering if i would be wasting my money to have it polished thank you

Jesse,

you can sign all posts in your profile (Jesse R. would be your signature).

Your photos are horrible. Try to understand how they should be to make an assessment posssible for us. Take photos always tip up; if they are blurred or not well focused, they don't help.

The last photos seem to show a MINO blade with SANBONSUGI HAMON.

Age is not so important. A blade from 1850 might be much better (and have a higher value) than an inferior one from 1550. Condition is important, so never touch a blade with your bare hands or fingers! 

Jesse, please click on your profile, & add your first name & initial as your signature. This is REQUIRED on NMB, & will show up in the same position on every post.

You have a lot of active rust on the nakago, which is a very bad thing. You need to find a piece of ivory (broken piano key, antler, etc.) & gently scrape off all of the red crud. The black is supposed to be there.

For photos, take a look at http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/31021-massive-and-powerful-shinshinto-toshitsugu-wakizashi/ This should give you an idea of how a blade should be shot. An important photo is the one of the completely bare blade, as this shows the sugata, or shape, that determines the jidai (age). Hard to help you without good photos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..