Sign in to follow this  
Mizuho_No_Densetsu

Day And Night- Custom 1 Of 1 Menuki

Hi Everyone,  

Mario here... I wanted to share something with you all because I don't know who else might appreciate it like I do.  I purchased my first Nihonto, a couple years ago, and slowly have been working on collecting the fittings to complete the koshirae I plan to build.  

I found a tsuba that I like, and I also found a quality fuchi kashira set that I really, really like... But I've been struggling  to find Menuki to bring it all together.  Long story short, I gave up searching and I hired my wife to make some for me.  Attached you'll see the wax carvings that will be used for the mold. Once received, we'll go ahead and complete this using mostly silver, and some gold to finish both pieces.

Anyway, I just wanted to share, I'll also post pics once they are all done.  If anyone else out there was having trouble finding specific fittings, making your own is always an option!

-Mario

post-1622-0-08147100-1535940130_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Here are some updates on the progress!!

Attached you'll find some pictures of the molds as well as the raw silver and gold pieces... They'll obviously need to be polished and filed a bit more, but so far I'm really pleased with the look.  They're quite heavy!

-Mario 

post-1622-0-84297700-1536931565_thumb.png

post-1622-0-35765600-1536931666_thumb.png

Hi Mario, I was a little skeptical at first as there are plenty of nice antique pieces out there you could use but looks like its coming along ok. Stephens idea really is worth a go at trying and i look forward to you progress.

Greg

• Like 1