Cast?

Stephen

Never say never Chris, Aoi taught me that!!

his fins guys! looks like left over casting in my really old eyes! A good cast can give fine lines.

Those areas are also the most corroded on the plate, tough to put much stock into that I think.

The eyebrows are rendered with too much depth for this to be cast IMO, and the scales on the kozuka side of the body have a nicely layered effect that would get murdered by a casting attempt. And I still go back to the seppa dai, some clear activity there which supports this being a worked guard.

• Like 1

I would say not cast (hand made). However it might have been burnt. The surface looks discoloured and scaled as far as my weary old eyes can tell.

I thought the surface looked a bit iffy in those pics too, but now I'm not so sure...looks OK here.

Fine-Dragon-KATANA-TSUBA-18-19th-C-Japan

Ok, so this is what I was thinking of. This tsuba is a couple hundred years older and the "pancake" is a bit more defined, but it was made with much less-homogeneous iron so I still think a decent comparison can be made.

And since the "lump" on the dragon is located on the seppa dai, I'd imagine if it stuck out too far it would've been flattened by the tsubako so the seppa would sit right.

Lastly, in the interests of full disclosure: I do not know who currently owns this piece and always hesitate to throw up a random image of someone else's property, but as it can be easily found with a Google search I see no harm in duplicating it here.

yama2s_zpsrlfbzt1v_edit_1509548178463_zp

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..