Japanese Sword Making Programme On Bbc Tonight

I was just given the heads up by Greg Ivine (he of the V&A) that there's a new three part series starting tonight at 22:00 ( 12 June 2017) on BBC4 called Handmade in Japan.

First episode is on the Sword and is 30 minutes long.

The next one will be on the Kimono and then Mingei pottery.

Here's a link for more details.

• Like 3

Hi Steven i just tried it and still no luck unfortunately for some reason. Thanks anyway though.

Greg

Edit; just saw 2× 1.5min clips and it really does look terrific. Hopefully someone will put it on youtube or find another way to see it if im lucky.

• Like 1

Just had a chance to watch it now...it is an extremely good documentary. One of the better ones I have seen. Really puts the human touch into the art, and emphasizes that this is no easy task. The burns on his arms.. :o
Definitely worth watching.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It made me think about the number of mumei blades we see, busy forge and two man job.

Might seem a minor issue to us, but I can see signing mei back in the day being a real pain in the ass.

Two or three swords a year like in the program then no bother.

Just thinking out loud.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..