Japanese Sword Tour

Good morning everyone,

I'm really not sure if this is the correct place to be posting, but I am after some advice regarding a potential trip to Japan I'm planning for next year.

I'm specifically going with the aim of seeing and learning as much as I can about nihonto. I'd like to see as many swords as possible, visit workshops where swords are made and polished traditionally, see some of the famous sites with historical significance to the sword... you get the idea.

While I found some of this with a simple google search, nothing beats the suggestions of locals or those 'in the know'. What are the must see/visit sites in Japan with a nihonto theme?

Secondary to this, are there any smiths that produce custom order swords in the traditional method, basically a better momento than a tshirt.

Thank you all!

Dear Steve,

I have never had the pleasure of going to Japan, not to mention all the lovely places.

I suppose as a layman i should say Tokyo National Museum is the key spot your trip should include. Then there's the Token museum (also in Tokyo), and probably more:)

Edit: Here are some selections from this reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Japan/comments/2tkn18/best_museums/

MIHO Museum in Shiga is considered a world-class museum. Despite its medium size, it's ranked up their with the Louvre and the Met for it's design and presentation.

Museum of Housing and Everyday Living in Osaka is a nice little gem in the middle of the city. An entire Edo-style village recreated perfectly... on the 8th floor of a skyscraper. The town is fully explorable and hands on.

Himeji Castle.

You'll need to travel a bit, but the Teshima Art Museum on Teshima, Chichu Art Museum on Naoshima, and Seirensho Art Museum on Inujima are the best museums I have visited in my life thus far.

Hi Steve im going to plan my honeymoon in Japan and it will be my 1st time also (very exciting) and was thinking of asking similar questions. Axel that edo style village on ghe 8th floor of a skyscraper sounds like a fun place and a friend of mine is in Japan at the moment and he sent me some pics from Tokyo National Museum to tease me.Good luck.

Greg

Hi Steve,

I read a post recently where someone had engaged the services of Paul Martin for a guided tour of Tokyo sword shops. I thought I might do something similar if I'm ever in the position of being able to go. 

Here's his website: http://www.thejapanesesword.com/#

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

I think they are both a must see. I'd love to see the sumo wrestling to! I think you'll have a ball honeymooning in Japan.

Mr Martin is probably the best tour guide you could ask for. Thanks for the link John. He has also solved the question about commissions so an all in one stop.

Dear Steve:

Glad to hear you are thinking about taking a trip over to Japan. This is a "must do" for any fan of Japanese history/culture and nihonto. I have been fortunate enough to travel over to Japan four times, the last time being last year. There are a lot of collectors on the NMB who have traveled over, and I am sure they would be happy to give you any tips they may have picked up in their travels. I usually go for 7-9 days per trip, and I am able to see and travel to all kinds of places in Japan. Fall is a wonderful time to travel in Japan. The weather is usually very pleasant, and the best annual sword show (DTI) is held in Tokyo every Fall (usually late October, early November). If there is anyway to plan your trip to coincide with the Dai Token Ichi sword show, you will see some of the best swords and fitting in one location, and have a ball.

Here are some things that I would recommend:

1. Book your flight as early in the year as possible. (If I am going in October, I usually try to book by around April or May at the latest).

2. Purchase a rail pass voucher, if you plan on doing any independent travel outside of Tokyo to places like Himeji Castle, Kyoto, Hakone, Nikko or Matsumoto Castle. If you can afford the extra expense, get a first class (Green car) voucher. You cannot purchase a rail pass in Japan. You have to purchase a voucher outside of Japan (JR Rail Pass website), take the voucher with you into Japan, and then exchange the voucher at the airport for the actual rail pass itself. It is a bargain for foreigners who plan to do a lot of traveling while in Japan. 

3. Stay at the best hotel you can comfortably afford. I believe the hotel can make or break a trip, especially if you are taking your spouse or girlfriend. There are lot of great hotels in Tokyo (Keio Plaza, Hilton), and a number of others that NMB members can direct you to and recommend. Book early in the year for the best prices, and follow them throughout the year thereafter, to possibly spot a better rate as they change and have promotions. 

4. You may want to include a one or two one day guided bus tour excursions into the itinerary for the first time over. It lets you see the most popular places, and they usually include lunch and an English speaking Japanese tour guide. Those can be found through Sunrise Tours and Japanican.com. They do day trips to Mt. Fuji, Nikko, Hakone, Kyoto, and a number of other places.

5.  I would definitely try to make it to Kyoto, if you can. I would recommend Kiyomizu-dera, Nijo Castle, the Golden Pavilion and the Silver Pavilion, the Gion Geisha district, and the Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (One of the best flea markets I have been to in Japan...held the 25th of each month). They offer one and two day excursions from Tokyo to Kyoto. Otherwise, just jump the bullet train in Tokyo and you will be there in about 2.5 hours. I stay at the Kyoto Tokyu  Hotel when in Kyoto. It is reasonably priced, and close to everything). 

6. In and around Tokyo is the Yasukuni Shrine (Great Sunday flea market) and incredible war artifacts at the museum. Also, Ueno Park and Zoo where the Tokyo National Museum is at. Sengaku-ji (47 Ronin Graves), The Meiji Shrine, the Ginza, the NBTHK sword museum, Japanese sword dealer's shops, and so many other great places.  

7. Castles: I would highly recommend Matsumoto Castle, Himeji Castle, and Nijo Castle. Hakone Castle is also pretty cool, but Himeji and Matsumoto are outstanding. Matsumoto has an incredible matchlock and armor collection.

8. Nikko: Nikko is a must see. Tokugawa is enshrined their, and it is the most incredible place in the Fall. My wife, son, and our friends loved Nikko last year, They all want to go back. Well worth traveling by train for the day, or taking a guided day trip. The guided day trip usually includes Kegan Falls and Lake Chikuzen. I did that the first trip over, and it was really memorable.

9. Use www.hyperdia.com to help plan travel times between various towns by train, bus, etc.

10. If you can pick up any basic Japanese phrases before you go, it really helps. If you are the type that can learn a language from an audio CD, one that worked great for me was "Drive Time Japanese" and "InFlight Japanese" by Learning Language. The CDs are usually available at Barnes & Noble. Two books I would highly recommend you read before going over and take with you are "DK Eyewitness Travel Japan," and "Japan Made Easy" by Boye Lafayette De Mente. I bought my copies at Barnes & Noble.

11. Type up an itinerary and check list of things to take over and to purchase in Japan on the trip. Also, buy some "make your own" business cards at Office Depot or the like, and type up address locations of places and locations you want to go on individual cards, including your hotel addresses, so that you can show those to Taxi drivers, which will get you to where you want to go, especially if you do not speak Japanese. Make a set for your spouse or girlfriend as well.     

There are a number of NMB members who travel over almost every year to Japan that I am sure would be happy to also give you their input. Robert Hughes (hughes@keichodo.com), Fred Weissberg (www.nihonto.com), and Andrew Quirt tend to go over quite frequently.

I plan to go over again next year. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. Have a great trip. 

Best Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

• Like 3

Thank you so much for a very thorough and informative inventory Bill. As it is my first trip, this is exactly the kind of advice I am after. October and November were my preference months, so I'm glad to see that you're recommending them as travel time.

I'll learn some basic Japanese and see about making bookings as early as possible.

Wow Bill thats a lot of helpul info I also thank you.

Steve I hope to hear about some of the good places/experiences you have. I probably wont be there till sometime in 2017 but considering ive wanted to go since I was a kid its not very long to wait.

Greg

Dear Steve and Greg:

Glad I could help. As Jean mentioned, Robert Hughes lives in Kamakura, and has lived in Japan for a number of years. He has a booth at the DTI, and he is always willing to help foreign visitors when he can at the show. He is completely fluent in Japanese. When at the DTI, I would recommend stopping by his booth. Robert organizes the Yakatabune Dinner Cruise the first night of the DTI. It is a real blast, and the views of Tokyo at night from the Bay, atop the cruise boats balcony area, are incredible. A lot of fun, food, and refreshments for all. Well worth the cost.

I forgot to mention. I try to coordinate my itinerary to include being in Tokyo on November 3rd, when possible. That is the day of the celebration at the Meiji Shrine of Emperor Meiji's birthday. The Meiji Shrine puts on Kyudo (archery), iaido, and other martial arts demonstrations that day. The highlight is the Yabusame (horse-mounted archery) competition where competitors dressed in traditional samurai style attire thunder down a long path on horseback while attempting to shoot three targets with an arrow in a matter of about 15 seconds. Local parents of young children dress them up in traditional kimono's and edo period attire, and it is a great opportunity to take photos and see some really wonderful sights. 

If you visit the NBTHK sword museum, Aoi-Arts sword shop is just around the corner, about a 5-10 minute walk. The NBTHK Museum is about a 20 minute easy walk to the Meiji Shrine.  The museum is closed on Emperor Meiji's birthday, at least it was the day I was there. 

If you are not going to do Japan solo, and if your wife or girlfriend are not all that into walking all over the place, which is what you do, consider occasionally taking a taxi to some of your local sights. It will save their feet and keep everyone happy. Comfortable, good shoes are a must. Blisters could potentially ruin the trip for someone. Taxis charge about $7.50 automatically when they drop the meter flag, but it will take you about 10 miles before the meter starts adding additional money to the meter. Also, the subways and local trains are a very cheap way to travel, a cool way to observe the locals, and not too hard to get the hang of.

As with many situations, I found that "cash is king" in Japan. I have found Sellers at shows, the DTI and at flea markets willing to negotiate and discount there asking price on items to at least some extent, if you politely make the offer.  Most hotels have someone who speaks English, and most of the younger Japanese can speak enough English to get you what you need. The farther you get away from Tokyo, such as in places around Kyoto, the more it helps to speak a few basic Japanese phrases.

Hopefully, other NMB members can give you some tips on what they have learned and picked up along the way in their travels. They helped me immensely the first time I went over. Have a great trip!

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (yoshimichi)

• Like 1

Taxis charge about $7.50 automatically when they drop the meter flag, but it will take you about 10 miles before the meter starts adding additional money to the meter.

Unfortunately taxis are not that cheap: the fares start at ¥ 710 (US$ 5.75) for the first two kilometers (1.2 miles), and the taximeter then adds ¥ 90 (US$ 0.73) every 288 meters (0.18 miles), or 40 seconds. At night, from 11pm, another 30% is added to the total fare. US$ 7.50 will get you less than a 2 1/2 miles taxi ride ...  :(

• Like 1

Here is a website that lists lots of good places to visit in Japan:

http://www.oocities.org/ghougham/sights.html

It is now an old site that comes with this disclaimer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Page is an outdated, user-generated website brought to you by an archive.It was mirrored from Geocities at the end of October, 2009.

For any questions concerning this page try to contact the respective author. (To report any malicious content send the URL to oocities(at gmail dot com). For question about the archive visit: OoCities.org.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BaZZa.

Dear Guido:

Thanks for correcting my taxi cab fare errors. It must have seemed cheaper to me at the time, given that I was bleeding so much money on everything else. Great detail on how the fares work, especially after 11:00 p.m. It definitely helps to get familiar with the subways and local trains. 

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

It definitely helps to get familiar with the subways and local trains.

Even while living in Tokyo and owning a car, I mostly used public transportation. There's almost no place in Japan where you can't get by train, subway, or bus. However, they usually stop running around 11:00 pm, that's why the taxi fares go up at that time.

If you make it to Kyoto, you should also check out the Bizen-Osafune Sword Village (http://en.japantravel.com/view/osefune-sword-museum). There are smiths there who are still making swords, & it's free to watch (other than a small entry fee). There are also smiths making saya, tsuba, & just about anything else sword-related. My wife & I spent a half day there, & our collection now contains a lot more Bizen blades. It's really a must-see, Greg.

Ken

• Like 1

Hi Guys, watching a smith at work would be a special treat! Thanks Ken I will try fit that one in.

Guido it must have been such a great experience to live in Japan.

So glad you started this topic Steve, with such helpful replies from people that have been there and done that.

My fiancee says she is happy to do any of the stuff I want to fit into our trip if weve got the time and can save enough funds which is a big bonus.

Much appreciated.

Greg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..