Edo Wakizashi Mei Translation Request.

marivo

sounds like you are having a hard time...  The makers side is not too hard, although the last kanji is hard to see in the shadow.  Here is a hint that may help, if you work it out you will benefit from learning. The first 2 kanji are a province, you can look up provinces in kanji and figure out which one, there are not that many. The third kanji is Kami meaning lord (title) so that goes with the province, 4 and 5 are a clan name, there are only a few and this is the most common so you will find it easily. The last 2 (6th and 7th) are the makers name, the first kanji of his name is one of the most frequent so easy to identify, the last kanji is hard to see in the picture, I could make a good guess but with the title  you can check a list a titles and see who had that title and used the first kanji in his name...   You will find doing it you will learn and help you do it the next time.  Someone may just post a translation but I think it best to try and learn first. The other side will take some time and it is hard to see clearly, but the name side is the most important as it gives you a direction for research

let us know how you do and we can guide you some more

I think you will do far better to buy a sword from a NMB member instead of looking at all the dodgy stuff that is for sale in the big world. This sword is unimpressive to me and makes me think it was made in China, I could be wrong.

Unfortunately Steve, you could be awfully right :)

The kogatana is way off, the kozuka looks shiny Chinese brass and the tsuka binding reminds me of the worst Chinese fakes...

But of course, one can wonder why the pictures are so low rez....

I don't think it's fake, just an average wakizashi put into whatever fittings were available. Same thing we see so often. Valued at the price of the blade mainly....and since the nakago looks cleaned a bit, it's a $500 package. Kogatana a modern filler. Fittings all average but real. Handle wrap having come loose long ago and poorly rewrapped.

It's the type of sword that most beginners start with before finding out it doesn't really fill the need, and they move it on later for a small loss.

Brian

Ivo,

The problem with buying from photographs, and particularly these photographs, is that they don't show enough detail. That may be because the blade is genuine but isn't in a state of polish to reveal the detail or it may be because the seller doesn't want you to see what's there and neither option is good. 

My bet is that it's a genuine Japanese sword because the signature and tang look a little too well done for a fake and the name isn't sufficiently big to make it worth someone's while to fake it, but I would also advise you to listen to Jean rather than me.  :thumbsup:

Whatever the real answer is, it's going to cost you money to find out...if it's pretty cheap it might be worth a punt or better yet, you can save your money and spend it where the outcome is more certain. There are three things one should never run after: buses, ladies (or men depending on your preference) and Japanese swords...there will normally be another one along shortly.

Best regards,

What I am saying is that the koshirae is off. The saya is gross and does not look Japanese. Now considering the blade, the nakago seems in line with a Japanese nakago so does the mei now is it a fake one that is another thing. Only shinsa can decide. A polish is necessary. Taking into consideration the cost of the polish which is mandatory if you want to study the blade (no yokote). You should not spend more than 300$ on such a blade. The all-in cost once polished should be around 1800/2000 $ or 1500/1600 €. Forget the mountings, not worth a dime for a Nihonto collector.

So if it is only to display, buy it at no more than 300€, less if you can. If you intend to have it restored then you can find better ones.

http://www.aoijapan.com/japanesesword/wakizashi

It is cheaper to buy a blade in perfect polish than to buy one and have a shirasaya made+a polish

I didn't say it WAS Chinese, only that it could seem that way due to the koshirae and the lack of sufficient detail in the blade. I mainly was making the point that far better deals are available from members here who have established good reputations, which in the Nihonto world, is invaluable. You will save a lot of time and head scratching that way if you are intent on purchasing your first sword.

Hi Ivo,

The bottom line is that you are asking me to choose a lesser of three evils for you. If the best option - keeping your money and waiting a while, is not going to cut it, and there is no chance of seeing these swords in hand, getting better photos or getting a money back inspection period, then in all honesty you know as much as I do as neither sword is sufficiently well photographed to draw a sensible conclusion.

All other things being equal, fake katana might be more desirable than fake wakizashi if that's what they are, so that might be the way to go. But seriously, you don't need to spend your money this instant - there is lots of stuff out there and you are swimming with the sharks right now.

I've been where you are and bought badly when I was. Take your time, look at as many swords as you can on line and in the flesh and get a feel for what you are looking at. There will be a better option come up in the sales section of NMB sometime soon. It's a good place to start as you are likely to get something of far better quality than is available in the open market and the environment is far more benign.

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you.

Best,

Hello John, thanks, I'm learing a lot on this board. The prices of Japanese swords are much higher in my country.

For a Mumei type 98 Gunto out of polish the asking price is over $ 1000.

I have made an apointment with the seller to see this Wakizashi in the flesh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..