Thousand Monkey theme tsuba

Spartancrest

Just a general enquiry, but has anyone any evidence that any tsuba or fitting ever actually had 1,000 monkeys depicted on it? I have done some research and can't even find one with 100 on it - can't they count!  :)  As a fill in time exercise I have found one that looks very thick with monkeys and actually numbered them - not even close - 62 is a far cry from 100 and a long plane ride from 1,000. Any thoughts?

post-3736-0-93758200-1586156319_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well, double 6² for both sides and u have one hundred plus already. Otherwise isn't it about the idea? Maybe try and draw 1000 on a piece of paper the size of this tsuba, then u might realize something?!

Facepalm

• Like 1

Axel

I didn't know monkeys only had one side - is it the outside?  :) 

Chris S.

Given there are only 62 monkeys you need to factor in all their toes as well as their fingers -  then you get 1240 - now 1240 is interesting because that was the year the Heike Monogatari (The tale of Heike) was compiled from unwritten traditional tales and variant texts composed between 1190 and 1221, gathered together probably by a scholar named Yukinaga, to form a single text. - Now you know just how bored I really am!  :o 

• Like 4

Ken Goldstein

Well we don't have any tourists at all at the moment, that distillery is shut to the public at Burnie,[ Not Tassie's prettiest town. ] Lucky for me I don't drink - can't afford the brain cells!  :beer:  Did you pass through Latrobe in the North West? or Sheffield? [my old stomping ground]

Is this a tourist thread?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..