#1 Grey Doffin

Grey Doffin

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota, USA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

Hi guys,

Tosogu Classroom Is a 5 volume, over 2,000 page translation with pictures, by Markus Sesko, of 30 some years of monthly articles from "Token Bijutsu" (NBTHK) about current understanding of the history of tosogu (fittings) by Fukushi Shigeo.  Volume 1 has been available for a year and volume 2 became available today.  Members of the JSS/US and the American and European branches of the NBTHK can buy a set (1 of each volume) at cost; non members will pay 150% of cost.  The cost for volumes 1 or 2 is $44 with postage each in the US and maybe the same everywhere else.  I have read both the 1st 2 volumes (which cover iron kodogu) and I can tell you this is a no brainer; you want these books.

To order either or both volumes, you have to send Markus an email (markus.sesko at gmail.com).  Tell him your address and whether you belong to one of the organizations; he will tell you how much and how to pay.  To join the JSS/US and save on the purchase price go to jssus.org.

And to all of you who have told me you wished you could see a volume before ordering, really? a 500 page hardbound book in a language you can read on a subject you're interested in for $44? and you have to stop and think?  Come on.

Tell them guys; is this a deal or what?

Thanks,  Grey

• uwe, DirkO, Jussi Ekholm and 2 others like this

#2 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Rarely have I been more willing to cut a check.

Tosogu Classroom Volume #2, come home quickly!

미친 남자 Curran

#3 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 14,010 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

I will be ordering both volumes as soon as I can spare some funds. Both look like a must-have.

- Admin -

#4 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

I paid for the whole set upfront, will my copy of vol. 2 be sent automatically?  (probably should ask Markus)

If anyone has any hesitation, I can confirm that Vol. 1 is a great reference and $44 is giving it away.  It is a no brainer.

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#5 Markus

Markus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationAustria / North Carolina

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

Thank you guys. 

I will ship out to all those who have prepaid automatically. Will probably tackle that tomorrow or at the latest by Friday. I now always wait until the PDF has gone completely through the Lulu system of printers. A while ago, when I published by Masamune book, I placed several orders immediately but then Lulu cancelled them, telling me that something was wrong with the PDF (even after it smoothly went through the first scan but later internal scan said no). Some might remember. Was a little nightmare.

IMPORTANT: To all who have prepaid, please let me know if your address has changed since last year. Thank you.

#6 Akao

Akao

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationParis - France

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

Volume 1 is a fantastic book, I look forward to reading #2 !

Thanks for all Grey and Markus

Hugues

#7 Grey Doffin

Grey Doffin

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

My copy of volume 2 arrived today.  685 pages beginning with Choshu and ending with Higo.

Grey

#8 DirkO

DirkO

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Have my copy for a week or so now, and although it's a translation, Markus went the extra mile to put in some remarks of his own(eg putting in Ito-san's view in the Higo chapter) This means he isn't just translating, he really cares about providing the full picture!

Dirk

~~tsundoku(積ん読)~~

#9 Jussi Ekholm

Jussi Ekholm

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

My copy came today and it is excellent like Vol.1.

Jussi Ekholm

#10 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

Received my copy of Vol. 2 a few days ago.  Haven't had a chance yo do much more than flip through it, but it looks great.

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#11 Akao

Akao

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationParis - France

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Hello everyone !

Is there a date for the release of the volume 3 of "Tosogu Classroom"?

Thanks again to the authors of the project, the first two volumes taught me so much!

Hugues

#12 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

i have emails Markus yearler this year about the 3rd book.  he said possibly early next year :Drool:

Hamfish

#13 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

i have emails Markus yearler this year about the 3rd book.  he said possibly early next year :Drool:

I'll be one of the first in line for it.

미친 남자 Curran

#14 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:46 AM

Ha, mine is already paid for, just waiting on the release.

Ed M.

#15 Grey Doffin

Grey Doffin

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:27 PM

Hi guys,

I spoke with Markus at the show in San Francisco.  We will try hard to get the next volume out by the end of the year.

Grey

• Akao likes this

#16 vajo

vajo

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Good luck. Take all the time you need and i hope for less flaws with the pictures  :)

#17 Akao

Akao

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationParis - France

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thank you Grey !

Hugues

#18 Markus

Markus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationAustria / North Carolina

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:48 AM

Good luck. Take all the time you need and i hope for less flaws with the pictures  :)

As Grey said, Volume 3 should be out at the end of the year. Regarding the quality issues of Volume 2, I rescanned the ENTIRE series with a new scanner (that I bought just for this project) and different parameters etc., what should eliminate that PDF glitch. Just took about 2h hours off each day of my life for a few months, but yeah, we are getting there  :)

• BIG, vajo, Akao and 1 other like this

#19 Akao

Akao

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationParis - France

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Hugues

#20 vajo

vajo

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Thanks a lot Markus. I very enjoy your work and I'm sure it will be great.  :thumbsup:

#21 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

+1  Hail Caesar.

미친 남자 Curran

#22 Ken-Hawaii

Ken-Hawaii

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationKaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

+2  You're remarkable, Markus (remarkusable should be a word!).

Ken Goldstein

Anyone can be tough for a season,

but it takes a special kind of human to rise to life's challenges for a lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq