Volume 2 Of Tosogu Classroom

Hi guys,

Tosogu Classroom Is a 5 volume, over 2,000 page translation with pictures, by Markus Sesko, of 30 some years of monthly articles from "Token Bijutsu" (NBTHK) about current understanding of the history of tosogu (fittings) by Fukushi Shigeo.  Volume 1 has been available for a year and volume 2 became available today.  Members of the JSS/US and the American and European branches of the NBTHK can buy a set (1 of each volume) at cost; non members will pay 150% of cost.  The cost for volumes 1 or 2 is $44 with postage each in the US and maybe the same everywhere else.  I have read both the 1st 2 volumes (which cover iron kodogu) and I can tell you this is a no brainer; you want these books.

To order either or both volumes, you have to send Markus an email (markus.sesko at gmail.com).  Tell him your address and whether you belong to one of the organizations; he will tell you how much and how to pay.  To join the JSS/US and save on the purchase price go to jssus.org.

And to all of you who have told me you wished you could see a volume before ordering, really? a 500 page hardbound book in a language you can read on a subject you're interested in for $44? and you have to stop and think?  Come on.

Tell them guys; is this a deal or what?

Thanks,  Grey

• Like 5

I paid for the whole set upfront, will my copy of vol. 2 be sent automatically?  (probably should ask Markus)

If anyone has any hesitation, I can confirm that Vol. 1 is a great reference and $44 is giving it away.  It is a no brainer.

Thank you guys. 

I will ship out to all those who have prepaid automatically. Will probably tackle that tomorrow or at the latest by Friday. I now always wait until the PDF has gone completely through the Lulu system of printers. A while ago, when I published by Masamune book, I placed several orders immediately but then Lulu cancelled them, telling me that something was wrong with the PDF (even after it smoothly went through the first scan but later internal scan said no). Some might remember. Was a little nightmare.

IMPORTANT: To all who have prepaid, please let me know if your address has changed since last year. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Have my copy for a week or so now, and although it's a translation, Markus went the extra mile to put in some remarks of his own(eg putting in Ito-san's view in the Higo chapter) This means he isn't just translating, he really cares about providing the full picture!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good luck. Take all the time you need and i hope for less flaws with the pictures  :)

As Grey said, Volume 3 should be out at the end of the year. Regarding the quality issues of Volume 2, I rescanned the ENTIRE series with a new scanner (that I bought just for this project) and different parameters etc., what should eliminate that PDF glitch. Just took about 2h hours off each day of my life for a few months, but yeah, we are getting there  :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..