Minatogowa Jinja ??

Gentlemen 

A friend has recently acquired a blade signed Yoshihisa with a Seki stamp and dated 1942 it has an engraving of what he thought was a Minatogawa Jinja but the engraving varies at the bottom and I can’t find any info on a Minatogawa smith off that name….

Your opinion would be most appreciated..

Thank you 

Ian

IMG_5514.jpeg

I looked at this sword last week, i consulted with 2 fellow members and we all concluded Fake . I emailed the auction house to see the tang, my reply , we can’t get the handle off !!! . Strange place for the Mon to be engraved, the orimono on the other side of the blade made no sense and £2k was miles too high to pay. 

• Thanks 1

I agree on all counts but my friend only told me about it after he picked it up, the problem I have is that I don’t understand it being faked while the war was still ongoing.

Hi folks, just for clarification, The Kiku-sui mon was a popular symbol in Japan and was not exclusive to the Minatogawa Jinja. Both Gassan Sadakazu and Gassan Sadakatsu engraved this on numerous swords as did other smiths.  It is possible that this was a WW2 engraving, although not of great quality.. 

Tom M.

• Thanks 1

Without seeing more of the sword and especially the nakago, it's really not possible to be evaluating this.  I don't have any Yoshihisa on file with stamps, so I'd personally appreciate more photos if you can coach the friend on how to get the tsuka off.

For the kikusui, it's the first one I've seen using a single line for the river.  I do have one other blade with the kikusui on the blade.  Unfortunately, I didn't record the source where I found it.

OnBlade.jpg.938cbef59f78f0103719c4fedab07892.jpg

Interesting that they are both on fullered blades.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:27 PM, Brendan campbell said:

Hi Bruce, here are the main 3 images the auction house had on their website. I hope you can see some more information. 

IMG_4136.png

Do you have the link to this sword?

4 hours ago, Brendan campbell said:

Wessex Auction Rooms
Westbrook Farm
Draycot Cerne
Chippenham
Wiltshire
SN15 5LH

Located just off J17 of the M4

Brendan

Thanks for the info on the auction house. but I can't find that sword, maybe because the auction ended?