2024 NTHK East Coast Shinsa - Orlando Show

Just an FYI, and I hope I am not stepping on any toes, nor bringing up something already well known, but according to their website, the NTHK is hosting a Shinsa at the 2024 Orlando Show.  I just hadn’t seen it mentioned or advertised here yet.  

• Like 3

Hello all,

For more information on the Orlando Japanese Sword Show please see our attached flyer. 2024 will be Orlando's 10th year and the show keeps getting bigger. Last year saw great public attendance and table holders from 17 US states and Canada. What better way to celebrate a decade of Nihonto than to hold a shinsa. We hope to see you there.

P.S. If you want a table to display or sell some treasures, please think about reserving one now. Last year we were able to sell out our space.  

Mark C.

2024 Show Flyer.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Swords said:

I afraid if send it if it’s not legit 

I think I will go back collecting Nazi helmets 

much easier 

But hey I appreciate everyone’s feedback 

Or you can come to the show, attend exhibits, listen , learn, ask, and the hands on knowledge is extremely valuable. I usually attend every year with my Nephew.  Last year I  I brought two swords where I had questions, started asking these questions to those who are knowledgeable and learned many new things. Plus I now have contacts who are extremely knowledged in different areas for when I have questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am planning to attend the Orlando show next year in 2024. I am happy to see that there will be a NTHK shinsa also at the show. I will be making all the arrangements sometime early next year.  I will bring a few things to put on the shared table of the New York Token Kai and one item for shinsa.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Eric,

Last year the exhibit was Soshu Den (School of Masamune) - a curated selection of those greats - Shintogo Kunimitsu, Soshu Yukimitsu, Kinju... 9 swords...

2024 sounds like Bizen Den. Lots of planning goes into this, as many know, so that is the current plan. Hopefully it will not change. 

Hope to see you there.

Mark C. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, Japan2112 said:

2024 sounds like Bizen Den.

Hi Mark,

Looking forward to seeing the presentation of fine Bizen Den swords at the Orlando show this year. Thank you for organizing the show. The legacy of a great Japanese sword show started by Bob Elder Sensei lives on.

https://www.facebook...os/2916187001731625/

• 5 weeks later...

I will have a table at the show, but mainly display. Since I won't be too busy at my table, I would like to offer my service for shinsa to those who cannot attend the show/shinsa in person.

This is how it works;

Your item or items will be mailed to my home address, at least 1 week prior to the show. (sooner is better). You are responsible for the packaging and mailing of the item(s) to me. When you are shipping from your preferred shipping place, pay for the shipping, and pre-pay for the return shipping label. Add this label to the inside of the package prior to sending. If you pre register, please include a copy of the registration and any reply from the NTHK for subimssion times.

https://nthkamerica.com/registration

For swords and koshirae, the initial fee is $200 for me to complete the registration for you, or $100 if you have pre-registered and paid directly to NTHK.

For tsuba and kozuka, kogai, kozuka, menuki, the initial fee is $125 for me to complete the registration for you, or $25 if you have pre-registered and paid directly to NTHK.

My fee covers;

Initial registration of the item(s) for shinsa submission <-- does not apply if you have pre-registered

Receipt and safe storage of item(s). Notification and pictures will be provided to owner upon receipt.

Transportation of item(s) to the show. (driven in a large SUV, no aircraft involved!)

Preparation of item(s) for submission.

Delivery to the shinsa team.

Receipt of the item(s) from shinsa.

Preservation of item(s) and re-packaging for return shipping. I will send photos of the worksheet to owner prior to item re-packaging. Worksheet(s) will be included in the packaging with the item(s).

Transportation of re-packaged item(s) to shipping company, and tracking information provided to item owner. 

If the item(s) pass shinsa, that will be an additional $150 fee for the origami, for each item. This can ONLY be paid in cash on the day of submission. Include a check, payable to me, for the $150 and I will pay cash on your behalf at the show. if your item does not pass, I will return your uncashed check with your item.

If you have any additional questions, please message me!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Someone was nice enough to do this last year in San Francisco at the show/shinsa there. One persons generosity helped me to get two blades papered, when I was unable to attend. I figure this is the least I can do to "pay it forward" and help others.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, compared to what is available in the United States and Orlando, do you have any information if in Europe there is a chance that there is this same type of service without sending the items to Japan or to you?

THANKS.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:53 AM, dimitri said:

Hello, compared to what is available in the United States and Orlando, do you have any information if in Europe there is a chance that there is this same type of service without sending the items to Japan or to you?

THANKS.

I would contact the NTHK at the website above. I think they have done shinsa in the UK before, if I remember correctly.   

• Thanks 1

Dmitri -

Thank you for your interest in the NTHK Shinsa, we have not to date done a Shinsa in Europe - we understand that there is interest but all the elements we would need have yet to come together.

-tch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@Soshin, @Toryu2020 it’s a shame, although in the United Kingdom you would still have to go through customs, a harsh reality in Europe.

Too bad there is no possibility in France or even in Germany with all the Nihonto collectors.

It’s a shame, I hope that in Europe we will have this chance in the near future. Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are getting closer to the show date. @Japan2112 has informed me that the holtel block of rooms, for discounted prices, ends in two weeks. Make your hotel reservations soon! Orlando is one of the bigest tourist destinations in the world, and the hotels know it and they price high accordingly. 

If anyone has swords, tsuba, or koshirae they would like to submit to shinsa, and cannot attend, please let me know. I will submit on your behalf. See information above or contact me directly.

Dan

• Like 1