Moon tsuba

Stephen

7 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Is the Moon in silver, Sun in gold

7 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

One other thing why do we see Geese flying at night, do they have radar

Hi Dale

Yes, generally moon in silver, sun in gold. Mostly it’s geese in the moonlight.
Geese flying in moonlight is a very poetic and evocative subject in Japan as indeed is just the moon on its own…..moon viewing parties etc.

The masses of arriving/departing migrant geese are symbols of the changing seasons, from autumn to winter and then winter to spring.

Geese fly mostly just before dawn from their roost to their feeding grounds and then at dusk from feeding grounds to roost.

How the heck they navigate thousands of miles twice a year is a mystery….no one knows for sure. Theories include the earths magnetic field, the stars and inherited knowledge. Clever little things.

One of my favourite sounds is the huge flocks of geese flying over my home during winter….thousands of them sometimes. 
Long reply…sorry….favourite subject.

Best. Colin.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting question about Jitsugetsu 日月 and the different colours and materials used to represent them and their meanings.

The moon of course is often depicted in waxing or waning phase, something the sun does not do. And as any hunter knows, geese come winging back to home in onto bodies of water in the late evening.

A full moon on the other hand seems to go with clouds, like love and marriage or a horse and carriage. The sun is often depicted with rays.

We have a thread running somewhere here with the small udenuki-no-ana holes near the edge of various tsuba, and I posted one with two rimmed holes, the relatively larger one in shinchu brass, the other in silver. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kurikata said:

as this one.....

Ok - so how is it that we see the moon at all while the rain is pouring down? . . . invisible clouds or poetic license? Think about it.

1 hour ago, Bugyotsuji said:

A full moon on the other hand seems to go with clouds

Bruno's tsuba forgot the clouds - it would have made more sense with a break in the clouds rather than a clear sky and pouring rain.

Art, it doesn't have to make sense. Beautiful piece nonetheless!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Living along the Mississippi flyway I can tell you the geese do fly at night, seen it many times. Perhaps more on a moonlit night, but I have heard them overhead when I could not see them. I don't think navigating is more difficult for them in dark than daylight.  It has more to do with some innate knowledge they are born with and perhaps the magnetic poles than day/night.

Though many are, not all moon scenes are combined with clouds. See the Ariyoshi I posted, moon no clouds.

I have several more "moon" Tsuba / Tosogu. Digging them out is the issue.

Here is one more.

Tomonobu_Frt.thumb.jpg.8b6e9861d07b7fdca292c6ef684abba5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen this one? Bones in the stream under a crescent moon.

i-img1200x900-1695779962trga2v507520.jpg      https://www.jauce.com/auction/g1107835756

It is what is on the omote side that is spooky - Bats from Bruno and now Skulls - we must be getting close to Halloween time!

And talking of Halloween, the moon will have a waxing crescent on October 31 not unlike this tsuba! :o

i-img1200x900-1695779961tzzeum507520.jpg

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..