Showa period sword exhibitions

mecox

Recently I was asked about annual exhibitions of swords in Japan.  National ones look to have started in 1934.  Exhibitions were organised by different associations, then the Army took control in 1943 & 1944.

In these later ones, some non-traditional blades were also included.  Attached is a summary of exhibitions that may be of interest.

1944.thumb.jpg.dddc7f6d3a106c6d3d60c29309f0ce39.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mal,

Great information, thank you.

Interesting that the Showa 19 ( Dec. 1944) RJT Exhib. had

209 trad. blades (presumably from 209 RJT)

6 arsenal blades

1 of special steel

20 'reference' blades

So we know that in Dec 1944 there were at least 209 RJT smiths working.

Every detail helps Mal...thanks.

Regards,

Geo.

PS six of my smiths won awards in these exhibitions between 1938-1944

• Thanks 1

I have picked out some photos of the exhibitions. If there are any mistakes please forgive me. I have translated with google.

Source: Kurihara Hikosaburo Akihide Zen Kiroku: Nihonto Nichido Yomigaeraseta Otoko by Tsuchika Tameo page 134 to 144.

Shinsaku Nihontoto Daikyoshin Kai Exhibition, Marui Building, Tokyo

Showa 10 (1935, Juni) Marui Building, Tokyo.jpg

Showa 10 (1935, Juni) Marui Building, Tokyo 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, george trotter said:

PS six of my smiths won awards in these exhibitions between 1938-1944

We know the winners or the rankings of the swordsmiths of the 6th Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai. I was wondering if there is a list of the winners, ranks from the other shows exhibitions as well!?

The photos helped clear up my amazement at judging such a large number of blades, too.  11-14 guys on the panel.  That would be 20 or less blades per judge, assuming they didn't all have to see each blade.  But even each blade had to be seen by everyone, I guess it wouldn't be that ginormous (HA, there's that word!) of a task.  1-3 minutes per blade is only 200-600 minutes of evaluation.  

8 hours ago, Itomagoi said:

I was wondering if there is a list of the winners, ranks from the other shows exhibitions as well!?

The results were published in the magazine Nihontō oyobi Nihon shumi 日本刀及日本趣味 [Japanese Sword and Japanese Hobby].  These issues have been digitized; however, they can only be viewed at the National Diet Libarary (NDL).  See the quote from NDL below.

Available only at the NDL and its partner libraries or to official registered users in Japan.

Here is an example of the results of the 7th exhibition that was published in the May 1942 issue of 日本刀及日本趣味.

第七回刀展雜記 / 板橋研堂 / p23~28.

第七回新作日本刀展出品成績 / 大日本刀匠協會 / p29~44.

• Like 3

Not shown in Peter's posts above is the last army exhibition 陸軍々刀技術奨励会, note the name is different than the one in 1943, held at the Gunjin Kaikan 軍人会館.  The results were published in the January 1945 issue of 日本刀及日本趣味.

陸軍々刀技術奬勵會 / 城南刀逸 / p10~18.

Blade photos attached:Inoue Katsukiyo/Sadakane, Post #10

Ohmura san has the results of this exhibition posted on his website courtesy of @k morita.

• Like 3

Some very interesting material here on sword exhibitions thanks to: @Itomagoi @Kiipu @PNSSHOGUN @k morita 

To assist with following Peter's  photos from the Tsuchika book about Kurihara,  here are caption translations and some notes.  

Apparently there was an 8th Nipponto Shinsaku Tenrankai held in March, 1943, which was the last of these.  The Army then took over sword exhibitions starting in November, 1943. 

This summary has now been updated.

Sword Exhibitions + shinsa.pdf

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Following the lists of early Showa period sword exhibitions reported there is often an 8th Nipponto Shinsaku Tenrankai in March 1943 omitted.   Peter @Itomagoi has added some great photos about this and I have attempted to expand on it and give it historic context.

Of note to @Kiipu@PNSSHOGUN@Bruce Pennington@george trotter

sword exhibitions 1943.pdf

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Very helpful info Mal...thanks.

Wouldn't it be great if someone was able to gather in photos etc of each exhibition 1934-1944 and "publish" them in a downloadable doc.

I say this as it would be so helpful to those of us who collect WWII gendaito.

I have a blade by (later RJT) OKISHIBA YOSHISADA of OSAKA who won 1st seat in the 1941 exhib....but I have never been able to find a photo of him in any Japanese source.

I'm sure there are lots of us who would like to have a pic of our smith.

Just a thought.

So, many thanks to you Mal and all those who have contributed to this post...great stuff.

Regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I used the wrong link for item below......it should be Thomas' post:

Mal, I thought you might enjoy reading this post by Nick Komiya.

1941 IJA Weapons Prices in today's values, Post #14

Source document can be found at the link below.

全国現代刀匠作刀日本刀展覧会開催の件

I found this mail from Thomas and the original from Nick Komiya very interesting, especially the list of 27 swordsmiths invited to display swords in July 1942.  Seems to be a selection of better tosho of the time, so I tried to translate and identify.  Got most of them but we got stuck of some.  Any assistance / correction is most welcome.

listof27.thumb.jpg.0124e0a70e2a4e8bcca29f68a8c74a25.jpg1942tosho.thumb.jpg.be5bbba3b85c11469f84868a0f2bff29.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..