Aoi Arts has a Rai blade in two pieces

Good morning all,

Absolutely fascinating:

http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/wakizashi/ ... 8701-3.jpg

The sixth paired image down showing the end of the old blade implies a clean line as if a saw had been used, and at the area of the hamon a jagged chunk missing, suggesting to me that the blade had suffered a massive damage to the hamon here.

A number of questions arise in my mind:

When was the restoration work done?

Why was the original tang retained?

Would the resultant two blades require separate Torokusho?

Cheers

Malcolm

A number of questions arise in my mind:

When was the restoration work done?

Why was the original tang retained?

Would the resultant two blades require separate Torokusho?

It is described in Japanese that the sword was shortened after WWII because of its bad blade condition. Its Torokusho was issued in 1987, and NBTHK Hozon paper was issued in 1989.

Therefore, I think that the sword was shortened between 1987 and 1989. If that is the case, it may be natural to keep the old Nakago to prove its attribution. The old Nakago is not a blade to be registered any more. However, the original Torokusho had to be revised, if the shortening was done after its registration.

Look at the mekui ana of the wakizashi. It was either redone or poorly done when made. Unless it was made this way to suggest that the blade was shortened long ago. Comments?

I get what you mean...

I think that the whole process has been well documented, even with pictures, being made in so recent times so

I would surely exclude deceptive intentions.

To give an "ancient" look at the Nakago might be a solution, but doesn't entirely satisfy me.

Interesting to buy mumei blade and its original tang with signature. Both are shown on the Hozon papers. Interesting way to buy a Rai blade... I would love to see the tang polished the way Ted Tenold and Keith Larman showed at their presentation at Tampa.

Yes, it would be an interesting candidate. The study might have limited results because the sword is already showing some fairly extensive depleation of the jigane. It was quite polished down before having been broken/sectioned, and the remaining areas in the osuriage show a great deal of looseness and less than appreciable hada seen in healthier examples. None-the-less, it would be interesting and educational.

We need some benevolent patron of the arts to step forward and purchase this sword so that the nakago can be sent to me for study. Any volunteers? :D

Hard to say with any conviction when the sword was shortened. My feeling is that it was modified to fit a koshirae, gunto or otherwise and perhaps the ana was misplaced requiring the hole to be filled and redrilled. The silver habaki looks quite contemporary to me and likely was made within the past twenty or so years, so that is a clue for us.

Ted, what about the placing of the original signature and the two mekugiana ?

Rai Kunitoshi tachi mei was located above the mekugi-ana and close to the mune. Since this blade was considerably suriage and machi-okuri, that placed the mei between the mekugi-ana, the bottom one being the original

Getting any images from Tsuruta-san will be of very limited value. In order to fully view the kitae, the cross section needs to be prepared by polishing and etching.

The papers are very interesting in that they show both the suriage nakago and the original which documents both pieces ase part of the whole, yet the description lists "mumei (Rai Kunitoshi)" with a reference to the mei on the other piece.

We could speculate that the sword was intentially broken or destroyed post WWII by either requirement of law, to prevent it from of falling into occupation hands, or by perhaps an occupational soldier out of duty or vengence. Who knows. The visable marks on on side of the original blade show what could be either a saw or a file. The hardened edge would not saw or file easily and likely there was only a partial cut made with the coup de grace being the act of just snapping off, thus would fracture the hardened edge as well. The chip may not have been the result of use or battle but rather the result of the cutting or breaking of the sword. Because there are no other chips of the same magnitude, or apparant severe damage, it could be reasonable to assume this theory.

We could speculate that the sword was intentially broken or destroyed post WWII by either requirement of law, to prevent it from of falling into occupation hands, or by perhaps an occupational soldier out of duty or vengence. Who knows. The visable marks on on side of the original blade show what could be either a saw or a file. The hardened edge would not saw or file easily and likely there was only a partial cut made with the coup de grace being the act of just snapping off, thus would fracture the hardened edge as well. The chip may not have been the result of use or battle but rather the result of the cutting or breaking of the sword. Because there are no other chips of the same magnitude, or apparant severe damage, it could be reasonable to assume this theory.

Not placed into Gunto mounting, not damaged by splinter.

Maybe even more sad then expected.

Rai Kunitoshi tachi mei was located above the mekugi-ana and close to the mune. Since this blade was considerably suriage and machi-okuri, that placed the mei between the mekugi-ana, the bottom one being the original

(likely already altered)

Thanks for the clarification, Jacques.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..