Quick appraisal needed on a deal going down, opinions please

When i first seen this i thought, hope he goes for it, happy you got the support you needed to give you reason to roll the dice. And what a roll! Rolled a four and it the hard way!! So enjoyed following this as it kept getting better n better.  MHO invest in full restoration. It may take you some time but will pay off in long run.

Brian's idea of sending to Ford sensei is spot on. He can recreate missing brass.

A decent togi can tell you if the big chip can be removed and shape a new kissaki. Hope to enjoy more of it's journey. 🍀

• Like 4

Its truly wonderful to see a piece of this quality come out of the woodwork, and substantially undamaged, the chip aside.  The koshirae is top, top work and dare I opine will be found to be solid silver.  Ken, you are close enough to Ford Hallam to take the sword to him personally.  You will only get one chance in a lifetime to do this right and Ford is DA MAN.  FYI and in case you (and others) missed it here are two links to Ford working on two of my projects:

Restoration of a handachi koshirae.  Only the tsuka went to Ford and the blade and koshirae stayed here with me (in Oz).  I’ll let the 56 minute video speak for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6FCHbVi0DY

The next thing was a wakizashi koshirae (medium sword mounting) that was near complete (only a seppa – a ‘spacer’ - missing), but needed tender mercies from a metalwork genius.  The scabbard is going to Japan (from the UK) to have some damage fixed and the lacquer restored.  Here is a link to Ford’s ~40 minute video of the koshirae assessment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yk24gfjWg

In the beginning he diverts to a short discussion of the tsuka in the next  above video. The following bit of work is to have the tsuka re-bound.

Congratulations on your find and the courage it took to chase it down, with a little help from your friends!!  Vive NMB.

BaZZa.

aka Barry Thomas
Melbourne, Australia

• Like 7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..