SNLF gunto on Hainan Island 1941

2 hours ago, David Flynn said:

I think it's a Civilian Tachi.

It could be so, but double hangers were a feature of Naval swords. I think it is an old sword but with a sewn on leather cover, and double hangers fitted on leather straps under the cover. Traditional and Kai-Gunto haikan were bigger and more elaborate.

According to Mr Komiya over on Warrelics.eu the NLF was far from elite and at the bottom of supply chains. That said, a lot of old swords were carried and used in this manner.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/Japanese-navy-canteen-664051-2/?highlight=reservists 

• Like 2

Thanks to everybody for the information, guess I was just used to seeing the new pictures which the color was similar to Neil's, a dark beige. And not a bright white which took me by surprise, i also didn't realize they were so tightly put on, was under the assumption they were a flimsy piece of cloth wrapped on it for temporary use.

That is a great photo in that it associates a particular style of gunto with the NLF. I believe I see a blurry anchor on the man's cap.

Allow me to post what I believe was a gunto carried by an NLF officer. It has a koto blade, tired and possibly re-tempered.

It has a  poorly made civilian Showa-era tsuka with plain brass fuchi-kashira, old iron plate tsuba, and plain wood saya

with black leather cover and  two leather hangers with brass D-rings. A basic rig for  an officer of limited means.

890448029_JNLFGunto.thumb.JPG.68fa97f85d5a1d72b4e2065a679c0ade.JPG 

I believe  its similarity to the sword of the NLF officer in the photo is clear.

William G.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I read an account of a Pacific war vet who stated that there was a rumor amongst the GI's who believed there were precious gems wrapped into the Tsuka Ito of swords. He wrote that many a sword suffered the handle unwrapping by the fellows looking for gems. 

PG-

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paul G said:

I read an account of a Pacific war vet who stated that there was a rumor amongst the GI's who believed there were precious gems wrapped into the Tsuka Ito of swords. He wrote that many a sword suffered the handle unwrapping by the fellows looking for gems. 

PG-

My dad's Mantetsu had several metal fitting pieces stolen while he was in the Marines.  He said they were "hoping to find jewels."  Took me 2 years to replace the parts!

• Sad 2

On 3/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, MarcoUdin said:

Thanks to everybody for the information, guess I was just used to seeing the new pictures which the color was similar to Neil's, a dark beige. And not a bright white which took me by surprise, i also didn't realize they were so tightly put on, was under the assumption they were a flimsy piece of cloth wrapped on it for temporary use.

They varied a lot..... Sometimes you got carefully stitched and shrunk on leather covers as well, as seen in the red outlined picture. Also note the wrapped saya in the pic.next to it.

wrap.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

Dave, this is a laced up leather tzuka cover, and matches the lace up saya cover. 

I have seen a few of them, (personal opinion)  I think that given the smooth finish, the bulk and the lacing, that they would have been removed before combat, when possible.

2 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

From a practical standpoint I would prefer linen, wouldn't get slick when wet and easier to replace when needed. 

I have read elsewhere that the tight shrunk and sewn on leather covers were a quick and dirty fix for dubious tsuka on donated swords. You also see them in place of the ito, straight over the same or bare wood tsuka. 

12243579_902857679794236_2598694543550841049_n b.jpg

Mantetsu 1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..