Tamba no Kami gamble

Bugyotsuji

Thanks for the thoughts, of every hue. They have all gone into the pipe (of peace), and I will smoke it.

This blade has gone from being an article of desire, which several people here in Japan  have tried to buy off me, to an object of scientific study, to which my attachment has been largely severed. I am now putting off the the saya fitment until after Shinsa results. This Koshirae is too good to use on a gamble.

Ok please do not take this the wrong way I'm just curious.

If you can buy aTamba no Kami in Aoi Art for $2200 why would you invest what $600-700 in shinsa of a similar blade?

I appreciate that it's interesting but it will not add any significant value as this Smith lineage was prolific.

Please take this as a genuine question rather than a slight.

Regards Adam

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jacques D. said:

I've never seen a book without errors unless it was peer-reviewed. As example Iimura (shinto taikan) attributes a sword to nidai Tadatsuna while it was made by the shodai, but i never seen a published sword which turns to be gimei.

And yet Jacques when I callange the books I'm shot down in flames.

But I totally agree they are often copied from other much older sources that may or may not be reliable.

Hello,

You are right, last bunch of oshigata is only Kyo.

Based on the index, there is :

- "Kyo tamba kami" shodai, nidai, yondai and godai

-  "Enryoshi, Kyo tamba kami" shichidai

-  "Osaka tamba kami" shodai, nidai, sandai

I Don't add the Yamato ones as Piers' sword is signed Tamba no Kami.

Here are better pics of Osaka ones:

20201015_205903.jpg

20201015_205916.jpg

20201013_223006 - Copie.jpg

• Like 1

Babu above you have twice quoted an example posted on Aoi Art for USD 2,200, and then asked why you would pay 6-700 dollars for shinsa for a 'similar' blade. You ask that I do not take this the wrong way. Your inference between the lines is, that they are similar cheap blades, produced in quantity, and therefore meaningless (a waste of money) to submit to shinsa, especially if it passes at whatever level. This leaves me with a near worthless blade and an empty feeling in the stomach. (Hope I am not taking this the wrong way.)

Piers,
That is so far from reality that it needs no reply. And he can't anyways, as he is on moderated posting and I only approve vital ones.
Ignore that. Every one of us wants your sword. It is a beautiful sword, in polish, with classic sudareba, nicely signed, clearly shoshin, published in a famous book. How many of us can say that?
If you ever think it's worthless...I'll gladly take it off your hands at cost 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Piers,
That is so far from reality that it needs no reply. And he can't anyways, as he is on moderated posting and I only approve vital ones.
Ignore that. Every one of us wants your sword. It is a beautiful sword, in polish, with classic sudareba, nicely signed, clearly shoshin, published in a famous book. How many of us can say that?
If you ever think it's worthless...I'll gladly take it off your hands at cost 🙂

I would add the wakizashi he talks about is gimei according Tsuruta san  himself 

https://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-tanba-kami-yoshimichi-the-signature-not-reliable/

• 7 months later...

Spent Friday afternoon wrapping this Wakizashi to send off to NBTHK Shinsa in Tokyo. My Sensei commented, "It will be interesting to see if they narrow it further to a particular generation." I gave him my best 'I doubt it' look. The NBTHK motto seems to be: Less is More.

In the box I have also included 2. a Bizen Sukekane Tanto of Meiji 2, and 3. a Suo Province Nio Hirokiyo Wakizashi of  around 1470 perhaps.

Roll on... October... ?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...