Nihonto Months

md02geist

Hello all,

Simple question; are there "lucky" or more important months for swords to have been completed? I seem to see lots of Hachigatsu blades. I did some searching and research but didn't turn up anything...is there anything special about August or am I just running into coincidence? 

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have been told a smith will try to do his best work in forging the first sword of a given year. I have always given a bit extra attention when a sword is dated shogatsu, and it does seem generally true that swords dated to the first month show good quality for that particular smith.

• Like 2

For hachigatsu we might consider that the number eight is generally considered lucky in Japan.

There are many superstitions  about numeral and their writing and reading in kanji like the one that ask to sew a coin of five cent of Yen on the senninbari as the reading of the matter might be the auspicious "just Beyond the line of Death" considering that 4 (cent) would have been read as "shi".

• Like 2

In an 18th century text which was translated in the first decade of the 20th it is suggested that smiths chose specific months (I think in this case they state August and May) for quenching. This was because the natural light was more consistent allowing them to better judge the temperature of the steel by the colour reached in the forge. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Month dates on old swords should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Do you really think that smiths waited until hachigatsu or nigatsu, quenched most (80%+) of their swords, and didn’t produce anything else for the other ten months of the year?

It was considered lucky to have those months written on the nakago, so smiths wrote those months on the nakago. I don’t think you can ever take it 100% at face value. In Japanese art, sometimes the appearance was considered more important than fact.

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..