Gunbroker Copper Hilt Nco

Stephen

But it has been horribly treated and painted.

I'd have to agree with you on that, i personally find it interesting, but would never contemplate doing the same to a sword like that.

It would have to detract and lower the overall value of it.

The sword is however, genuine. The first 500 or so made, had a leather sarute as the seller stated. His is obviously well within this range and they also had the 'horse shoe' brass plug, which is also correct.

• Like 1

The numbers are actually genuinely low, better than most of the 'low' ones I see listed that are still in the thousands. That makes it quite appealing. It also looks to be in good condition. However, two things put me off. For one I think the value has taken a real hit with the repaint (which I'm in agreement that it's not original). Secondly, even were you to strip the paint, the finish and patina on the handle would be gone. That's a fairly major part of these swords, since the copper was annealed to give it the two toned appearance. That would be lost I imagine. It seems likely that the scabbard would have been similarly stripped back for a repaint, so there is unlikely to be any of the original grey undercoat or green paint left behind. For me the loss of all patina and original paint is a killer.

Not sure about the sarute. As Stegel said the early coppers did originally have leather sarute but the one in this instance could be a replacement which would be in line with the painting. Dawson shows an original and a replica but it's hard to tell here. Not sure they would have painted while the sword was intact, but Dawson states disassembly destroys the sarute. On the fence here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..