Mei Query

kissakai

Hi

I need a bit of guidance with this mei
It looks suspect to me and all I have found is 挑 CHŌ
I thought the kanji on the LH side was a single character but found nothing so maybe this was two kanji that were very close to each other
I know this is not likely but when clutching at straws I gasp anything!

So is this likely to be gimei?
If so I don't need to waste my time
Any pointers to help but without proving a translation
I can show images of the tsuba but it is nothing special

This was the best image I could take

j73ltc.jpg

Grev UK

Grev,

to be able to discuss about SHOSHIN or GIMEI, you have to know what it is and how it compares to a certified original. On your photo this does not look like good chisel writing to me, but to get a reliable feedback here, you need to present the best photos possible, e.g. a well focused full size view.

Hi
Sorry about the images so I proved a full size one (Should be at the correct scale as tsuba is 2.8inches wide)

Looking at the preview it has displayed x2

I can be a real duffer but I'm not 100% sure about the mei being cut or cast, or maybe I want it to be cut so it affects my judgement (pride before a fall)

I looked at the mei and there looks to be tiny chisel marks at the base of the mei but still has a look of being cast

I thought the design and workmanship was OK but again I feel this is trying to be something that it isn't

1zz0tqe.jpg

Grev UK

Hi

I bought this at a fair yesterday from what I believe to be an honest seller

I will ring him later today and ask for a refund unless anyone on the NMB thinks it may be OK

I wasn't until I got home that I had a better look at it and thought it to be a copy.

Some of these fairs don't have very good lighting and then there is the problems with crowds so not the best place to make a decision

I'll know better next time

Thanks for the quick replies

Grev UK

Hi

You may be pleased to know that the seller will give me a full refund

He had an unsigned thousand monkey tsuba that looked quite nice but before I buy I will double check with my magnifying glass

Any thing I should check excluding a cast line and holes?

I will check the internet for genuine examples

Grev UK

Grev,

cast lines and pinholes are hints for a crudely made cast TSUBA.

Look for a good design, fine, precise chisel marks as monkey fur, nice little faces with eyes in the right place, TAGANE around the NAKAGO-ANA, traces of wear and use on the SEPPA-DAI a.s.o.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..