The Haynes Index transcribed

kissakai

I have transcribed (with a fair bit of help from John Stuart) the 3 Haynes Index’s into a spreadsheet as this has the advantage of having the whole Index on a computer

It can be sorted/refined to your own requirements

Mr Bob Haynes has given me permission to distribute this spreadsheet but any errors are wholly mine

This spreadsheet is available as a pre-paid download with a cost of $10

All payments must be paid payable to the NMB and therefore all the proceeds are for the benefit of NMB

Brian will send this to those who have bought this spreadsheet

Please be aware that so it has the flexibility to be modified to your requirements it will be sent in an excel file so I’m relying on your trust not to send these out as freebe’s! Any one can add this to their website but in a format that makes it extremely difficult to copy. You can link back to the NMB so they can purchase the original. For $10 it’s not worth ducking out of a payment

The Haynes Index is in 3 volumes that contains many thousands of tosogu (sword furniture) makers and is an indispensable reference book

The first section contains the tosogu makers and any associated information in alphabetical order and each maker is also shown as a ‘H’ number such as H02311.0.

The second section has the all the kanji used within this Index

The makers name is usually defined by two kanji and these kanji are made up from radicals

For example the tsuba maker Jusan 寿山 (H02311)

Ju = 寿 Radical: 寸 and parts 一 ノ 二 寸 = 7 strokes

San = 山 Radical: 山 with no parts = 3 or 4 strokes

When I purchased the Haynes Index I found that it contains so many names it took a long time to find a specific kanji.

The spreadsheet can be ordered in radical order so it is so much quicker to find the radical and the start of the makers name

For the more experienced the spreadsheet can be arranged by ‘stroke’ count. Each kanji is defined by how many single strokes are used when creating the kanji. A snapshot of the spreadsheet with a couple of information bubbles is shown below.

Grev UK

post-3496-14196938355012_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Grev.

Grev worked on this for several months, and it is huge amount of effort. He did not want any compensation for himself, but decided on a nominal fee to go towards the upkeep of the forum. This was set at $10 per person.

Please note that this is not the Haynes Index itself...it is the index to the Haynes Index, if that makes sense :D

It assists you in locating a maker if you have the books or electronic version of the index. It is based on the index beginning on page 793 in the first volume, but is much more accessible and customizable. Please note that to make use of this file, you would need to own the Haynes books or electronic version.

Also, please note that it is an excel file, so you need to be able to view and work with these.

The file will be emailed to those who send the $10 via Paypal to the forum PP account above (brian at nihontomessageboard.com) and I will email the file to the email address from Paypal unless you specify another address in the notes section.

Please note that the file is not protected, as Grev wanted you to be able to edit it as you see fit. It works on the honour system of asking people not to share it.

Many thanks again to Grev, and those who assisted him in this work.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

Sometimes posts get overlooked or forgotten so I'll bump this now and again

For those who haven't seen this post it is about purchasing an excel (searchable) Haynes index

This can be purchased for a very modest price and 100% of any generated sales goes back into the NMB

Bob Haynes has already done one update to his Haynes Index with one more to come and this will be his last update so I'll update when the latest version is available

Grev UK

Goodness me!!  I think I missed this once before.  Grev, as a bloke who has worked with Excel etc etc I take my hat off to you in a Grand Sweep.  Some deja vu here and I fear after 50+ years "in swords" and at 71 yo I'm starting to lose it, which is why I'll do my PayPal duty right now...  Thanks for giving it a bump for an old bloke.

BaZZa.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Haynes update

The haynes spreadsheet is still available, see replies above

I have done the same type of spreadsheet for the Wakayama kanji

Anyone who has the Haynes Index (via a NMB donation) can have a free copy of the Wakayama kanji but you need to PM me and state your personal email address

Anyone seeing this post for the first time can obtain the Haynes and I will email a copy of the Wakayama Index as a freebee

These are ideal for a quick reference when looking at all or part of a mei

Sample - there are some more columns that are not shown

post-2100-0-75642900-1461936704_thumb.jpg

Grev UK

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..