Kantei game 2

Michael 101

Thought yesterdays kantei was good fun and thought Id add one of my own.

This one is distinctly go stone in profile (thicker in the middle) and in addition to its shakudo and silver inlay has finely carved amida yasuri.

Its 7cm high x 6.9cm wide x 0.48cm thick at the centre.

Let me know your thoughts or questions

Kind regards

Michael

post-811-14196936563052_thumb.jpg

post-811-14196936584481_thumb.jpg

post-811-14196936611195_thumb.jpg

This is much more challenging than the Shoami kantei.

The devil is in the detail.

I know the answer on this one, but don't think I would have been so sure without reference books and one or two tell tale details.

At first glance, I would have gone with another school.

I can fully understand the various calls, especially so for Umetada.

Not an easy one at all, which is the fun of these anyway.

Only one person nailed it - Higo Nishigaki more specifically the second master Shigesaku (1639-1717) The very tastefully placed inlaid pattern is called Sayagata, a crest design originally found on silk. This example shows some wear and would most likely have been originally fitted with a shakudo fukurin.

The second master also studied under the Goto school and his work is often very refined. Unfortunately my photos do not do it justice as the amida yasuri are very finely carved.

The aori gata shape and the matching hitsu ana are more typically Higo in style.

I have added a picture of a very similar example complete with its fukurin, published in Ito Mitsuhira's excellent book on Nishigaki Kanshiro works for comparison.

Many thanks Michael

post-811-14196936932184_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm....kantei 1 by a different member mention both NBTHK and Nthk papers.

Kantei #2 :dunno: .....is this based solely on the book example (which has some different and interesting details compared to the kantei example)? Would be helpful to know if the papering organizations expressed an opinion, as it helps to broaden the knowledge about what they will paper so specifically...

Thank you for posting the link to a very similar tsuba but this time attributed to Yogoro school, as I note are two other very different tsuba from the same sale.

Its very interesting as other Yogoro (Mito) work also points towards a conection with the Goto school (to whom the second Kanshiro studied under) and thank you for posting.

To clarify my kantei was based purely on my own studies and discussion with another more experienced higo collector and close reference to Ito Mitsuhira's excellent publications and studies.

Attributions change as more information becomes available and I very much respect the focused higo school research carried out by Mitsuhira san in his recent work.

This tsuba does not have any papers - I would submit - my only concern would be the return of another rather expensive "Higo" attribution.

Kindest regards and thanks

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..