Matsukawabishi Mon in Shoami Tsuba

Kurikata

Hi,

I purchased this Shoami Tsuba some while ago (Tsunami design) with Matsukawabishi mon hitsu ana. I discovered on web sites several other exemples ... Do you know if this style corresponds to Shoami school exclusively ? Is it a sign that these tsubas where made for a specific clan and which one ?

Thank you for you views on this

Thank you Stephen and Brian to make me know that all NBM members not have to be Microsoft addicts ;)

Thank you Currran for your marvelous exemple too.

In fact I found a daisho pair on the Web with such Hitsu Ana mentioned as Kyo Sukashi...

Was it fashionbable to have such Tsuba at a time, was it for a spectific family?

post-4655-14196918347647_thumb.jpg

Was it fashionbable to have such Tsuba at a time, was it for a spectific family?

Hi Bruno P.,

I did some research about this design. Here is a quote from my website where I discuss a NBTHK Hozon paper Owari sukashi tsuba with this design.

The positive openwork design (ji-sukashi 地透) is referred to as (hidari migi ni gai bishi 左右二蓋菱). This design was commonly used as a family crests (kamon家紋) in fabric designs of clothes, flags, tents, and equipment during the Warring States Period (sengoku-jidai 戦国時代). This family crest was used by the Ogasawara clan (小笠原氏) during this historical period.

Likely the design itself predates the Warring States Period. For a full write up about this Owari tsuba please follow this link: http://www.tsubaotaku.com/#!gallery2/c5om. It is the last tsuba on the webpage. Attached is a small image of the Owari sukashi tsuba with this design. :)

post-1126-14196918461306_thumb.jpg

In fact I found a daisho pair on the Web with such Hitsu Ana mentioned as Kyo Sukashi...

Ah! How nice to see tsuba from my now defunct blog :D

My, and it was written in Polish ;-) http://gomahashi.blogspot.com/2010/02/o ... kashi.html

Actually, these two were not a daisho. It is a bit hard to discern it in the pics, but one was a rather lumpy Owari, while the other was very delicate, more like Kyo sukashi. But yes, the motif was matsukawa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..