It's only a small area

I would clean only with oil & cloth only

Do every day & monitor until the coloured area " darkens "

Then the corrosion is no longer active

From there , monitor & oil regularly

Just my opinion .

Cheers , AlanK

Hello:

I believe you will find that if you get a large British penny, one with a high copper content, ideally one showing Queen Victoria with its edge not entirely rounded, that the coin will remove the rust to the level of the surrounding surface and without scratching or otherwise disfiguring if there are overruns as there surely will be. Hold at about a 45 degree angle and applied only as much pressure as necessary to remove the rust and confine yourself to the rusted area even though over extending should do no damage. To prove the benign nature of this "high tech" approach, practice on some rust on another surface where the metal has about the same composition as a Japanese sword. When you have demonstrated the effects to your satisfaction, try it on the sword.

I used to give such coins out at sword shows and heard no complaints from users.

Any coin store will have such coins and 25 - 50 cents should get you one.

Arnold F.

Thanks to all for your replies and advice.

Adam asked if it looks like an umegane. I don't think that it is, but it does look like there is a tiny depression there. Perhaps a small flaw that might permit corrosion below the surface, which would worry me. The picture is magnified quite a bit, so it really is quite small.

I may post another pic after I attempt to remove the rust.

Alan

You had me worried there for a minute , Ben. Cripes, my sword has cancer! It does look like a rusty line in the photo.

No, that must be a reflection or photographic artifact showing in the hi. I looked at the hi with a magnifying glass and even took a few more close-up photos to study by zooming in. I can't see any rust in the hi. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, though.

Alan

Gents, this spot is tiny - this is a macro picture :)

This is not umegane, just a burst bubble of spittle. Uchiko and oil should be quite enough.

Alan, when handling a blade, always wipe it before re-sheathing.

Corrosion from a tiny blob of spittle! Surely not of my own origin! Yes, I guess that I have been busted for being a bit of an alarmist. I did say that it was small. Perhaps not good to take close-up (macro) photos of blades. Tends to reveal many small imperfections that you would rather not be aware of.

Alan

post-4899-1419689269092_thumb.jpg

post-4899-14196892698161_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..