A Shinsaku tsuba 2013 NBSK entry

Ford Hallam

For those of you who may be interested here are some images of a tsuba I recently completed.

This is my entry in the annual Shinsaku competition held by the NBSK.

It was a commission but the theme was pretty much left to me. I titled it, at the request of the client, 'Dragonfly Glade' . Giving them names makes it easier to refer to specific pieces in future too. It's also signed on the back to indicate that it was a commission.

The relief is carved as opposed to being inlaid. The dragonfly wings are ao-kin (green gold) and the seki-gane are silver. The shape of the tsuba is borrowed from Tanaka Kioyotoshi as is the characteristic shape of the seki-gane. The steel was hand made by a Japanese swordsmith to my requirements.

You can see some images of the various influences I drew on as well as a photo essay showing the work as it progressed, here.

post-229-14196865553891_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196865561941_thumb.jpg

post-229-1419686556812_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196865573176_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196865622602_thumb.jpg

If you'd like to see some film footage of the actual carving process you can see some on my YouTube channel,

. Excuse the arty start, I was just messing about with my film editing software. :)

Thanks for looking,

Ford

Thank you very much, Gents :)

John, you've homed in on exactly what my focus was; pushing the carving technique in ways I've not done before. We'll see what the judges feel about it.

Brian, glad you enjoyed it. Funny enough, the new owner isn't even a tsuba collector. He simply wanted a piece of my work after seeing the Utsushi film but he's become a keen student of Japanese art and Japanese metalwork over the past few months as I shared the process of making his tsuba with him.

Jean, I suppose I use dragonflies mostly because I am drawn to the delicacy and complexity of their wings. Trying to capture something of that quality in metal and contrasting it against other textures is something I find very satisfying. They don't embody any specific meaning for me though. On the other hand 'katsumushi' , victory insect, might be a good luck motif in the competition :D

Hi Ford H.,

Great work! :D I hope you do well at the Shinsaku competition held by the NBSK. I didn't see any Shinsaku tsuba while I was in Japan on a two week vacation but I was able to visit three castles, and few museums, temples, and shrines. At some point I would like to add a modern tsuba to my website but in the mean time I need to get back to saving my money. I'll send you a email via your website which I have bookmarked when I'm ready to talk business.

The steel was hand made by a Japanese swordsmith to my requirements.

Who was the Japanese swordsmith who made the tsuba plate? Looking at the linked photographs you provided the hammer work on the plate surface looks really nice.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

I particularly enjoy watching the sequence of photos in your link (https://plus.google.com/photos/10292032 ... banner=pwa)

Nice to see the tsuba inspirations and to spot the various elements incorporated into this work.

Btw....who did that katakiri grasses tsuba? Can see the influence in your reeds. Next year, you need to go on step further and submit a daisho set maybe :D

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Ford FWIW, i always feel a great calm when i view your work. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ford, I agree with Stephen...I viewed your scene not so much in terms of Katsumushi but in terms of summer and the sounds of mushiatsui...just reminds me of a stream behind my daughter's house in Harima.

We are so lucky to have you and to have your willingness to share your art. Thanks.

Regards,

Thanks very much Gentlemen, your kind comments are much appreciated.

George,

the concept in my mind's eye was very much about the stream and the atmosphere. The dragonfly is in a way incidental and fleeting. I'm very pleased to hear that's how it's experienced. :)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..