Info needed on hamon.

Okay these are some of the pics I have, could someone please let me know what is the correct name for this type of Hamon, and I might be wrong, and looks like there is Hada present also.

I will try to get more pics for viewing, and if i posted this in the wrong section, please move to correct section.

thanks

Brian

post-3540-14196837842235_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196837843126_thumb.jpg

@ Lindus

Do you mean this when you said ;

Honyaki ;

Honyaki knives are forged from one single material, usually high-carbon steel. The finest honyaki (mizu-honyaki) are then differentially-hardened, the same method used for traditional katana. Their sharpness is the longest lasting of all Japanese blades.[citation needed] They are extremely difficult to forge, requiring a high level of skill and experience. They are also very difficult to sharpen and maintain, and easily damaged if not properly used. They are also more expensive than other knives (costing over $1000 for a 240mm gyuto)[1], such as Kasumi knives, which are made out of two materials and are easier to forge and maintain.

The sword is not Chinese, it belongs to a friend, his great uncle brought it back from when he was in the Marines, I have seen this sword over the years many times, as it belonged to his relative. I don't know if he picked it up off the battle field, or did some trading for it after the war, or the time he did serve in Japan after the war, but he did bring it home with him.

It is in a Shirosaya, he would not let me take the Tsuka off and look for an signature, I had always loved the Hamon on this sword, and never really knew what was the correct term for this type of it.

Thanks, much appreciated as I took those pics with my iPhone.

Brian

I'm up to about 6 right now, with 2 at the house and 4 in shipping to me, all Showa Era, with the exception of the Nihonto I just bought that is on the way to me also.

This does not include the newer made Paul Chen's I have, and the multiple tanto's I own, I really like to buy the small tanto's that are marked " TAKAHASHI, Japan " on the blade.

I also bought one of the swords from Paul in the listing he has in the for sale section, just waiting for him to get back close to the end of the month to finalize the purchase.

This sword I'm asking about it does not belong to me, it belongs to a friend, but I would buy it a second if he would let me.

Brian

Brian in some way I do not envy you the choice you have today via the web which is vast. I remember an old friend,an insurance broker, who phoned me,he had had a dealer list from "Adamsons Armoury" {Olde UK collectors may remember him} on this was a No Dachi & a Daisho, both for £400....poor old Mike was distraught as he could afford only one :)

I see the Chris has confided that this is not Ninonto,{Was that based on the kissaki? the Hamon looked good.} could you get some decent pics up?

Just three I bought from Amazon;

Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords: A Collector's Guide

Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords

Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths: From 1868 to the Present , and one Showa book ;

Oshigata Book Japanese Swordsmiths WWII Samurai Sword

I'm not buying the sword, nor do i own it, I just wanted to know what this Hamon was called, as I have this chart, and was not sure which one it was;

Why do you ask ?

Brian

post-3540-14196837857171_thumb.jpg

@ Chris

That's why I bought my first Nihonto last week, and it is on the way to me as I type this message, Plus I did buy one of the swords from Paul that he had listed in the " FOR SALE " section, so that will make me the proud owner of two Nihonto's.

I posted pics of it, and the smith was from the 1660's Edo Period, so yes I do own my very first Nihonto, and plan to learn so much from it, and keep reading everything I can in here.

thanks

Brian

The term "Hanyaki" was thrown at me some years ago as meaning "wild" or not conforming to...

Hi Roy,

You don't mean "hanayaka" do you?? hanayaka 花やか・華やか gay, showy, brilliant, gorgeous, florid??

I found this website that may be of interest:

http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/yaka.html

Bestests,

BaZZa.

I do not think the elongated iron object in the pictures has any kind of hamon. It looks like having a chemical surface treatment to generate an undulating discoloration, aiming at deception. The shape is all wrong, the steel looks all wrong, there's no real hamon that I can see, I do not even think its Japanese... Please keep studying good blades, as adviced...

BR, Veli

"could someone please let me know what is the correct name for this type of Hamon?"

The answer to this question is, "Crap we shouldn't be discussing here."

These are obviously not Japanese blades. The way to learn how to recognize r4eal Japanese swords is to look at real Japanese swords. Books, even a bunch of them, are not enough. Go to sword shows. Visit shops were real swords are sold. Find other collectors with whom you can get "face time."

Peter

Okay, I would visit shows, and shops, but none in my area, so I was hoping for the expertise, and professionalism in here, but I see that does not exist.

I'm sure when you started out, you knew everything, and no one had to help you out, right ?

I wont be asking questions about anything else in here, I will just leave it be, and read what everyone post.

I thought we all were grown men, and not a bunch of children that has no idea of what professional courtesy is, or anyone wanting to help, as i all get is the smart remarks.

I thought there was rules in these forums that we all were to suppose to act in a professional manner, but i see that rule only applies to certain members.

All I did was ask a simple question, and all you could have done was give a honest, and simple answer.

Thank you

Brian

Hello,

I would call it Midare.

The sword itself doesn't look right though, but that was not your question :)

/Martin

Brian,

The first answer you got was from me. It was both honest and simple. Embrace it.

You are most welcome to visit me and study my collection of Nihonto.

/Martin

I think this could be from 70's/80's, I don't really know (cause I'm too young) when these Chinese fakes started to make their appearance, might even be bit older but I think WWII might be bit stretching it.

I believe that hamon is just pure acid etch, but I'd say it's imitation of midare too.

There are shops in my area, and the only show is the museum in Kentucky, a good 6 hour drive for me.

I would visit places that had great quality swords, but cannot as none in my area.

I did recently buy two good Nihonto's, so I will learn from these two swords.

thanks

Brian

In order to begin understanding what nihonto are all about the following information is essential reading > http://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/tatara/nnp0109.htm . This needs to be followed by hands on study preferably with a 'teacher', where identification of characteristics in relation to kantei begins to be developed. In addition, in order for kantei to be understood which is the basis for nihonto appreciation, the history of the sword must be understood. Otherwise, your throwing darts in the air hoping something hits. For the serious student this is not unlike going to college to earn a degree. How far along and to what level degree earned is up to you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..