Are there sword storage boxes?

Well,

I know there are storage boxes for all kinds of Japanese items, such as sake cups, tsuba, menuki, scrolls etc. And that they traditionally are made from Kiri wood (Paulowina wood)

What I would like to know, are there such boxes for whole swords? The reason being that one could, for example, store the shirasaya or koshirae (or even the whole sword) when not on display. If there are, do they have a special name or some such?

I've been giving that a lot of thought recently. A scroll box might do the trick too, there are ones that are long enough, so you'd only have to see if the Tsuba would fit when it comes to the inner diameter. But if there were deidcated boxes...

The only time I've seen such boxes are in movies where treasures swords are stored, but I haven't seen any offered on eBay or other online shops.

Thanks.

I am currently building a sword Tansu (Dansu) in a 2-drawer model using antique ones as an example. As I'm no master-craftsman, it's taking a while but getting there.

I'm Building it from Kiri wood purchased from a source here in the U.S. with repro hardware.

For a 'simple box', it's a lot of work - that I DO know!

Just my $.02 worth....

Curt R.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering in a year or two, when I've finished setting up a wood shop, beginning to manufacture Katana Dansus. But, it's still just a crazy idea at this point. I definitely plan to make one for myself, but was wondering what the interest would be on hand-made furniture of this sort.

It's not going to ever be a career, but if I could find a hobby to pay for all my others.....well, the wife would be most happy.

Tobias;

For the sake of expanded discussion, on your sword storage boxes. Some have mentioned the heavy permanent type of a drawered cabinet, which is often seen, and the most common.

The other type, katana zutsu, which is seldom seen, due to it's more fragile structure, and scarcity, is the sword " zutzu ". The zutsu is basically a 2 piece hinged, with locking apparatus; finely decorated with a skilled lacquer motif, and often, mons. It's design is to hold the entire mounted katana for transport.

I could kick myself, for over looking several of these is the past years, when they were more often seen for sale, and in nice condition, and reasonable prices.

Don't know why I wanted one, but when you see one in hand, it seems to attract your attention, particularly when you collect fully mounted pieces, as I do.

If you do a search on the internet, you can see a few fine examples of this item.

Gary Wortham

Tobias;

The other type, katana zutsu, which is seldom seen, due to its more fragile structure, and scarcity, is the sword " zutzu ". The zutsu is basically a 2 piece hinged, with locking apparatus; finely decorated with a skilled lacquer motif, and often, mons. It's design is to hold the entire mounted katana for transport.

Don't know why I wanted one, but when you see one in hand, it seems to attract your attention, particularly when you collect fully mounted pieces, as I do.

If you do a search on the internet, you can see a few fine examples of this item.

Gary Wortham

Like this... http://www.city.soma.fukushima.jp/digit ... 4%8D%86=21

• 1 month later...

Ugh. The short answer, as Timewave said, is "Yes".

I've had one for almost 10 years, and use it. It was probably 10 to 15 years old when I purchased it from another collector.

Works well and has taken on a nice patina over the years.

Buy a good paulownia one and enjoy its clean lines.

Not sure how much of a difference there is in quality/size/construction (if anyone knows I'd love to learn about it), but Tokugawa Art seem to have similar paulownia katanabako at a much lower price:

http://sanmei.com/contents/en-us/d23_01.html

23100 yen for a box housing a single katana vs 70000 from Namikawa Heibei Co., and they also do boxes for daisho, wakizashi and tanto.

One of those for sale not too far from here.

Will not deter a thief, but with a working key, will stop anyone from drawing the sword unsupervised.

Piers, the katanabako I purchased from Japan cost more to transport to the US than the purchase price. From what I have read and seen katanabako were used for transportation of swords in Japan. Something rarely seen are the leather covers and netting and ropes used when transporting swords in a katanasbako. Here are a few examples.

4e59ca1aee29b.jpg

4e59c9c826bde.jpg

0427k07.jpg

600x450-2011070600006.jpg

Great stuff Eric. Many thanks. You should open a museum! :clap:

Piers. I was waiting for your museum to open actually. The last katanabako were not mine, lately I have been collecting images of unusual or rare items, they take up less room...cheaper also.

I recently finished a Tansu, 2-drawer, that I built from Kiri wood and white poplar(for some of the internal pieces). Top drawer holds 4 Katana or Wakizashi in a padded rack. Bottom drawer is 'open' to hold other goodies, or another rack could be made to hold 3 or 4 more swords.

The pics below are not the end product, but was just before fitting the drawer bottoms. Made by looking at antique ones online, then just going for it. I learned quite a lot while building it (one being that it was much more difficult than I thought it would be :bang: ), but in the end, I'm very happy with it. I can post the 'finished' pics and rack system later if anyone would like me to. Also, PM me for a great source here in the U.S. for Kiri wood - he runs his own mill and gets it in from time to time.

Happy Holidays!

Curtis

Hello to all - here are the pics of the one I recently built...please go easy on the critique, as I'm barely able to put 2 pieces of wood together in general :D .

Curtis

Curtis, I can see nothing to critique, I wish I could do as good. The dividers look like the ones I have seen in antique ones.

Thank you Eric! Trust me..many mistakes and a long process but I enjoy it very much, and the wood is beautiful to work with. The dividers I just sort of 'made up' as they seemed to make sense. Planning on making another (single) soon but am thinking it will go smoother after making a large one (there should be an emoticon for 'keeping fingers crossed' lol).

Thanks again!

Curtis

Thanks Eric - very interesting to see how the old & authentic ones were done...I'm planning on building a new one (or two) over the next few months and really like the use of a lid vs. drawers, which were pretty challenging to build. Thanks for the kind comments, also! :D

Curtis

Curtis -

Nice work indeed! Where did you find the great hardware? It took me 25 years of searching to find mine. Note it has three drawers - the racks in the top drawer are wider on one side for swords in koshirae (with tsuba) - in the other drawers the racks are the usual ones seen for swords in shirasaya.

I am sure I posted these on here somewhere else apologies for repeating myself...

-t

post-406-14196817258821_thumb.jpg

post-406-14196817260648_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mr. Helm - the three-drawer model is very cool and I see exactly what you mean about some being more narrow for those in Shirasaya. Brilliant, and I may be making my bottom drawer racks this way now if/when I attempt project #2! I have none in Shirasaya, but one of these days...oh yes....one of these days :D .

As for the hardware, I actually purchased it (all together) on ebay...they are repro's but do attach in the traditional ways. The corner braces, etc. are a bit thin and not steel, but have a great finish. The handles are iron and solid as can be. Here is a link to the seller's store - they provided great service, BTW.

http://myworld.ebay.com/easternclassics/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Also, has anyone here heard of Tansu being made of Cypress wood vs. Kiri?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..