Top quality polish advice

Surfson

Hi all. I searched for previous threads but couldn't find any that fit. I have several swords that in my opinion are worthy of the highest grade polish in Japan and submission for high level papers and would like to hear who the NMB members recommend in terms of polishers and agents etc. Thanks in advance. Bob

Hi Bob,

If you go to Rich Stein's commercial web-page http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esteinrl/sites2.htm , there are a number of dealers, including some that post here on NMB, that provide polishing services to Japan. It will take phone calls or emails to find out just who offers what services and at what level, cost, etc..

A word of note; selecting a broker/polisher for services to Japan for polishing a sword, especially high end swords, should be done very carefully, because just like with polishers in North America, you can end up with an excellent polish, and sometimes you can end up with a not so excellent polish.

Thanks for the replies and I'll continue to study the suggestions. I have bought fittings from Bob Benson in the past and have friends who have sent top quality blades via him. Does anybody know who he uses as his Juyo grade polisher and how that person rates next to the others? I assume that the number of polishers with that level of talent is very small, but I just don't know their names. Isn't there still a Hon'ami working? How does Kenji Mishina rate? Who are the best in the world right now? Cheers, Bob

There are several mukansa level polishers, you will not go wrong with any of them. Mishina, Fujishiro, they are well known in the west and certainly top shelf. My favorite of the mukansa is Yanagawa san. I know many of these people and can assist if need be. If you need any further info or help, email me privately.

There are several mukansa level polishers, you will not go wrong with any of them. Mishina, Fujishiro, they are well known in the west and certainly top shelf. My favorite of the mukansa is Yanagawa san. I know many of these people and can assist if need be. If you need any further info or help, email me privately.

Fascinating thread, thanks.

Sadly not all of us can afford the best, having spent some time with Kenji Mishina and his wife when he worked in the UK,even then his work was way beyound my pocket. Now we have one riseing star in Scotland, Lesley Stewart. I have watched his progress over twenty years and as far as GB is concerned he is probably the best.

I stray from the reason....Chris, I have a very handsome 50cm UBU blade signed " Sagami no Kuni Hiromitsu" and fine mounts signed "Toshi Haru", the bad bit is a major flaw {see attached} is there anyway to save this old blade?.

Thanks

Roy

post-1746-14196787342753_thumb.jpg

I stray from the reason....Chris, I have a very handsome 50cm UBU blade signed " Sagami no Kuni Hiromitsu" and fine mounts signed "Toshi Haru", the bad bit is a major flaw {see attached} is there anyway to save this old blade?.

Sometimes these disappear, sometimes not. Sometimes they will go away and a new one will open up further down the seam. My luck has been about 1 in 4 or 5 that goes away completely. Location plays an important role. If it is in the shinogi ji, a bo-hi can do wonders. If it is in or near the hamon, forget it....The newer the blade, the better the odds. An older blade like this is probably a sucker bet.....I would probably leave it as is.....

Les doesn't have a website as far as I know. I believe he has had some training in Japan but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I've handled a few swords he's polished and people generally speak well of his work.

Tony Norman (well known UK polisher and member of this forum) has an interesting write up on the GB Token website.

http://www.to-ken.com/articles/An%20Eng ... storer.htm

Roy,

I would be delighted to learn more about Lesley Stewart; What kind of training and background does he have? Any info on the web?

BR, Veli

Hi

I have known Les for over twenty years and watched with interest his progress through his polishing journey. He did spend some time with a Japanese polisher in Japan and came back with some interesting and on one occasion a quite startling Reciept wich included Mercuric oxide!!!!{He never used it for obvious reasons}.. Not promoting him even though an old friend, many other members know his work and could comment I am sure, if you would like to contact him PM me and will give you his email address.

Roy

The OP asked for the highest grade polish in Japan. Does anyone really believe that there is anyone outside of Japan that has the skill of the mukansa polishers in Japan??? Have any of the people recommended even completed the full apprenticeship under a professional???

I have several swords that in my opinion are worthy of the highest grade polish in Japan and submission for high level papers and would like to hear who the NMB members recommend in terms of polishers and agents etc. Thanks in advance.

Going back to the OP's question.

I've always used Usagiya for my polishing in Japan. I have three swords they've polished for me to date. They have access to mukansa polishers and their commission fees are very reasonable. I've always been impressed with their honesty and level of customer service. You can email them and will always get a reply in 24 hours or less.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/

If you are sending to Japan, then I would concur that Usagiya, (the Kashima Sisters and Hiroshi Kojima) are top notch, I cannot recommend them highly enough. Their honesty and integrity is to be respected and admired and is pretty hard to come by in Japan. If you send your swords to Usagiya you can be sure that you will receive a proper and honest appraisal of what should be done with your swords with respect to polishing and papering if you wish, you will not be "directed" into something that is not needed (read $$$), and false hopes will not be handed out (read $$$).

Best of luck, I hope you contact Usagiya and ask for the opinion of Mr. Hiroshi Kojima.

Regards,

Louis Skebo

Let me add Moses Becerra to the fine mix of polishers already mentioned. His credentials are on his site:

nihontoantiques.com

He is not a professionally trained polisher. For someone who has stated that they are looking for the best polish available, you are pointing him in the wrong direction.

Really, Chris? Well then I stand corrected.

Unfortunately, many people assume because someone has spent a short time in Japan that they are "trained". Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I do not wish to disparage the gentleman as he is a sincere person doing his best but he is indeed without the proper training.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..