Chidori Jumonji Yari comparisons.

Isshu

Today I got out my Chidori Jumonji yari to maintain/ view and decided to share them. I really enjoy this type of yari and it's quite interesting to see the slight differences each of the yari has. It may take a little time to see them but when you do there quite noticeable. From left to right the smiths are- Higo no kami Kuniyasu, Echigo no kami Kanesada (Sakaura Terukane) and Kawachi no kami Monjyu Kanesada.  Hope you enjoy them.

John C.

20240508_110435.thumb.jpg.38b09a3bf2414e45c9e744dae0d3f2d7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 11
  • Wow 3

Thanks guys, I do enjoy looking at them and wonder how they were made. I'm sure someone will have a theory.

From what I have read Brian ( and I am open to correction ) , as to the offensive nature the central blade is for thrusting and stabbing and the two protruding arms can be used to trap and/or with rotation disarm an adversary of sword or yari. Defencively, the two small pointed "kissaki" projections are said to enable the user to "hook" the yari over a shoulder or limb and by pulling backwards cause a rider to be unhorsed or be pulled to the ground.

If anyone does have a chidori yari it would be great to see it, thanks.

John C.  

• Like 2

Had a look online as to how they were made, very little. 

All i could find was a Forged in fire tv series where a guy said they were made from one piece of steel.

The first guy made one from a piece of steel, split, and bent the two side spikes out.

I wont add the video here as don't know if that's how they were made.

They appear very technical with all the angles.

Did read that they can be a pain to polish.

Actually, will add the video. They are not accurate to the yari above but maybe spark some more discussion as to how they were made.

• Like 2

Yes, I showed one I had to some sword polishers and they agreed that none of them would like to attempt such a polish.

Not directly related, but like Alex above, the idea of splitting out a central steel rod reminded me of well-bucket hooks or anchors. These are sometimes called Ninja hooks, with three or four curled barbs for throwing up onto walls etc. on the end of a rope. 

I heard that genuine old examples are of one piece, peeled out from a central shaft. 

IMG_3290.thumb.jpeg.0922bd6ef5fc8395f22e68e51c5a7792.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes they are all papered. They have- Echigo no kami Kanesada with Tokubetsu Hozon, Higo no kami Kuniyasu with Hozon and old Tokubetsu Kicho and Kawachi no kami Monjyu Kanesada with NTHK (Japan). Echigo Kanesada yari was polished just prior to purchase and the other two are in great old polish. I am happy to have them all papered as not all yari are/get papered but should be, as I think that the skill to make these (arguably) is more difficult than making swords! For one thing, just imagine the difficulty in creating a hamon around all the edges within the confines of the size and shape of the blade.

John C.

• Like 3

Quick off-topic warning!

We have John C. x2 here, but regarding the picturesque fishing village of Tomo-no-Ura, to John C. 2, it's a great place to visit if you are ever down Fukuyama way. Also, Miyazaki Hayao rented a house there with a stunning view while he was working on the animation Ponyo.

Ponyo - Wikipedia

Apologies to John C. 1

• Like 1