Hello All, Story Time, Yes I dont know anything about Kantana

An old house out side of Artesia New Mexico, out in the desert, was to be bull dozed. Some relatives were  curious and went through the old house. They found these Items tucked away in a closet. Two Japanese's ink on silk paintings, a Katana and what looks like a small version of a sword. I said they looked cool and they said here you can have them. So now what. the best I have found is that the sword (kantana) is by Fujiwara Kanefusa 23rd generation. It is in what I think rough shape. I cleaned it the best I could without any strong abrasives and a wet sponge. The sword has a slight bend in it and the blade edge has what I would call bite marks in it from another edged weapon (maybe??). While giving it a basic cleaning, I thought about what history or stories it could tell...LOL..I became sentimental. Now I am wondering if I should have the blade restored or even if it could be,Picandswords.thumb.jpg.2bc5a60bfe53889c87ed6f988834af06.jpg who does it. I will attach pictures of the find in New Mexico. Please give opinions, they are free, Good advise tends to cost money.

Hi Steven,

Here is a care and handling brochure you should read:

https://nbthk-ab2.or...ord-characteristics/

Do no more cleaning of anything on either sword; well meaning amateurs often do damage. The short sword is a wakizashi. Pictures of both blades bare of their mounts, on a dark background, will allow us to tell you more about them. Coseups of both tangs (blade inside the handles) even if the wakizashi isn't signed, will help.

Cheers, Grey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you used a wet sponge and ???, please wipe both blades down with as close to 100% isopropyl alcohol and then apply a LIGHT coat of oil to blades.  Sewing machine oil or very high grade machine oil (available at local hardware store) NOT WD40 or gun oil with additives.  Blades will rust very quickly if left exposed to air and any water or fingerprint remnants remain. 

Also, resist ANY urge to use any type of metal polish or anything else to clean blades.  You can only do more damage rather than good.  ‘Shiny’ is not ‘clean’ or ‘good’ in this case.  Not trying to be rude.  It’s just that it is really better to do nothing as opposed to ‘something’ right now until you can get some help with what you have.  

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.2ce0987ee668a10aafa671455535cfc4.png

You can find info on this Kanefusa here:

As to whether you should have it polished, that depends on your hobby budget and plans for the blade.  He was a WWII era smith that was known to make traditionally and non-traditionally crafted blades.  Without seeing some detailed photos, it's impossible for us to say what you have.  You'll pay over $2,000 for a polish, but since the sword cost you nothing, you could pay for a polish and have a really nice blade for an overall reasonable price.  If you still want recommendations for a polish, let us know, and guys can make recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosscleo said:

having the blades restored does interest me, but I wonder if the damaged edge and both blades warped is fixable

Steven,

a traditionally trained polisher (TOGISHI) can do a lot in case the blade's value warrants the costs. Your longer blade seems to be quite damaged indeed, but that was not done in war but probably much later by Western idiots.....In my opinion, this KATANA (not KANTANA) might have been traditionally made, so there is some hope.

The small blade has a bad NAKAGO (tang) and - judged only by photos - is likely a later tourist souvenir with not much value. Nevertheless, it might have been made pre-war, or even pre-1900. An expert could tell you more seeing these blades in hand. Perhaps you have an NMB member close nearby? A sword exhibition would be another possibility. 

2 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Steven,

a traditionally trained polisher (TOGISHI) can do a lot in case the blade's value warrants the costs. Your longer blade seems to be quite damaged indeed, but that was not done in war but probably much later by Western idiots.....In my opinion, this KATANA (not KANTANA) might have been traditionally made, so there is some hope.

The small blade has a bad NAKAGO (tang) and - judged only by photos - is likely a later tourist souvenir with not much value. Nevertheless, it might have been made pre-war, or even pre-1900. An expert could tell you more seeing these blades in hand. Perhaps you have an NMB member close nearby? A sword exhibition would be another possibility. 

you are right on the small blade, it feels like a piece of sheet metal

sword deminions.jpg

Hey Steven! Congratulations on your finds.

To take a proper measure of sori (curvature), you should measure from the mune-machi (notch where the habaki sits on the transiton between the nakago and the mune of the blade) to the very tip of the boshi. The sori is probably around 1/2" just from a glance though.

The blade is a very standard size for a WWII-produced blade and may very well end up being gendaito (which could warrant a polish). Just based on what I am seeing, there is a good chance of that. So definitely find a token kai or collector near you for assistance!

29 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Hey Steven! Congratulations on your finds.

To take a proper measure of sori (curvature), you should measure from the mune-machi (notch where the habaki sits on the transiton between the nakago and the mune of the blade) to the very tip of the boshi. The sori is probably around 1/2" just from a glance though.

The blade is a very standard size for a WWII-produced blade and may very well end up being gendaito (which could warrant a polish). Just based on what I am seeing, there is a good chance of that. So definitely find a token kai or collector near you for assistance!

you are right about it being just a 1/2 inch 

19 minutes ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

Bosscleo when you speak of (maybe) worth the Restauration i would like to know what you calculated to come to this conclusion.

I don’t think polishing this blade would be a financially wise decision. 

the blade was free, not looking to make a profit or really any money

• Like 1

If I was in your shoes, I'd not have the sword restored and just oil the blade to keep as a keepsake in your gun cabinet. Who knows and perhaps your lucky find may spur you to go deeper into the nihonto hobby. You may decide to even find and purchase a fine gendaito in very good condition like the ones here being sold on this forum. Years ago, while browsing one autumn morning a the local Goodwill Thrift Store I stumbled upon a genuine complete wakizashi with koshirae for $19.99.  That purchase spurred me into finding out about Japanese swords and I got some books about it and attended a local sword club meeting. My wakizashi was not worth the $2,000 polish and the long waiting for shipping to and fro to Japan for restoration. A year or two later my interest piqued high enough that I got my first katana, a piece that was once in the sword collection of a well known sword collector named Col. Dean Hartley. Congratulations on your lucky find.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singlechange said:

If I was in your shoes, I'd not have the sword restored and just oil the blade to keep as a keepsake in your gun cabinet. Who knows and perhaps your lucky find may spur you to go deeper into the nihonto hobby. You may decide to even find and purchase a fine gendaito in very good condition like the ones here being sold on this forum. Years ago, while browsing one autumn morning a the local Goodwill Thrift Store I stumbled upon a genuine complete wakizashi with koshirae for $19.99.  That purchase spurred me into finding out about Japanese swords and I got some books about it and attended a local sword club meeting. My wakizashi was not worth the $2,000 polish and the long waiting for shipping to and fro to Japan for restoration. A year or two later my interest piqued high enough that I got my first katana, a piece that was once in the sword collection of a well known sword collector named Col. Dean Hartley. Congratulations on your lucky find.

I dont know enough about the blades value so I took it to OKC (Oklahoma city) blade shop for an opinion. So as he took out of the scabbard, he smiled and said this is the real deal. He laid it on the counter and with documentation I had started taking photos. He said he does not have the experience to advise me on what I can do and not do with this blade. He has a collector he will put me in contact with. I told him I was not interested in selling since it was sort of a gift. He said this collector would know what to do with the blade as far as reconditioning it and such. I thank him and bought an OTF knife while I was there...LOL...so I will wait and see.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..