Meaning of Kanji and Katakana on fittings

PNSSHOGUN

Seeking some help to make sense of the following found on all Seppa and also on a small section of the Saya liner. Am familiar with Kanji or numbers but Katakana is somewhat new and I'm not sure how to transliterate them (is it a name or phrase?). 

シノツカヨト

Next are these Kanji in an ink stamp, I have another sword with a similar stamp but different Kanji (Shimada (嶋田)).

柄順

20231023_183059_HDR.thumb.jpg.342111413f094f08a22a91f0e487d29d.jpg

柄 means hilt, grip, handle, haft, etc.

順 means (in) order as in 1,2,3 or a,b,c…

Would it be possible to see an example of the katakana lettering? Do we read from left or right, and do we break it up into words? There are several possibilities from either direction, but nothing immediately obvious. 

Tsuka could be 柄 as above… and ノ could be part of a name like Shino, or it could be the preposition ‘of’.

• Like 2

Thank you once again Piers, they are diabolical to photograph but the Fuchi shows them well enough. 

They are in roughly the below format with each Seppa mixing up where "ト" appears, sometimes being directly below "":

ト     シ

ノ

ツ

カ

ヨ

20231023_235851_HDR.thumb.jpg.edb9b95119f3e4d724bd952d9fb8b1d0.jpg20231023_235910_HDR.thumb.jpg.8ee283f0709fced200966c6499706085.jpg20231023_235734_HDR.thumb.jpg.819e86491addc96a5ac8c7cfd935e85f.jpg

• Thanks 1

John:

I think phonetically it is: to  si

no

tu

ka

yo

But what that means, I have no idea.

John C.

• Like 2

The ヨ (Yo) character is connected to the other characters on all fittings but the "ト" is often disconnected and is the only character to appear on the Tsuba.

There was a Lt. General Shinozuka Yoshio (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/篠塚義男) but that would be a little ambitious until further research... It came with an old bag with very faded writing, if it can be deciphered that will solve the mystery.

Once again very much appreciate all of your help.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Bugyotsuji said:

Well ’Yo’ fits nicely with Yoshio, John. Keep the possibility open!

So where's this bag? :glee:

Hi Piers, well therein lies the mischief. Wondering if it needs to be investigated by some sort of forensic laboratory as it could be Kanji or english. 

20231023_211853_HDR.jpg

EPSON004cr.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Actually it does look like a typical three-line address in Japanese, down to the house number, owner name too(?).

Wow ...you guys must have x-ray vision! .....'looking' fwd to your next installment because I certainly cant see anything on the bag 

:clap:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

G'day Guys,

I noticed that in the past, Neil has posted some Yasukunito with Suya fittings that also have scratchings on the tsuba and seppa. My Gassan Sadakatsu with Suya fittings has Gassan scratched on them. In this case could the scratching be shorthand for Yasumitsu maybe? Perhaps if other Yasukunito owners could check their gunto fittings we may be able to decipher this?

Cheers,

Bryce

Hi Bryce, the scratchings are usually the owners surname and I've seen/owned a few that follow this pattern. Sometimes they are Japanese numbers, your example does seem to be unique in having the smiths name.

I did try with UV light but my dinky UV torch is not powerful enough to do much.

• Thanks 1

G'day John,

Mine isn't unique. Here is another example I found on the net. It would be good to see other examples of Suya fittings with known blades. I guess they may have used the blade maker sometimes and the owner at other times?

Cheers,

Bryce

Suya markings.jpg

Here is one more sword with similar characters on the fittings, also with the Suya stamp

On all the fittings:

マツサキ - Matsusaki

In very faint ink under the Fuchi:

丙/両貞 - Hei/Ryōsada?

It looks suspiciously like the Kanji above with the left parts missing.... 柄順 ?

20231029_014934.jpg20231029_020656.thumb.jpg.241e3e855b6622a42a540fb8ce162788.jpg20220323_174303.thumb.jpg.aaf4e1ad83f5a87ae5be39d0c18b4686.jpg

• Wow 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..