Sword identification please

MtnView

Greetings,

I am hoping for some information about a sword I received from a family friend about 45 years ago. I didn't know where to turn until I heard about this message board. Any help/info would be appreciated.

The letter that accompanied the sword was dated 5 Dec, 1945 from a Lt Col. at the HQ of the 1st Cavalry Division. He was stationed in Gamagori, Japan at the time. Attached are some photos. Please let me know if you need a view of anything specific.

Thank you in advance for your help

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo6.jpg

• Love 2

PM Offers fly daily. I get messaged by people who are overwhelmed by offers. Just something that happens I guess.
Richard, this is something of a low Grail item for those that collect wartime blades. It's a really good one. take your time. Also in professional and decent polish.
You scored big there.

Those are polishers marks, or "Nagashi".  Different schools have some variations on how the lines can appear. There is further information at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/togi.html

To learn more about the Yasukuni Shrine swords, you will need a book called "The Yasukuni Swords" by Tom Kishida.

I guess to be honest, I am stunned. I figured that I had a $50-$100 sword, if I was lucky.

My quest started out of curiosity and the possibility of returning it the family of the original owner. I have since found out how difficult that can be.

Now I'm dumbfounded and don't know what to say.

It's taking a while to digest everything I've learned and let it sink in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..