Translate this name?

Hi all,

Here is gunto mounter's name written in ink on the hilt of one of my WWII swords.

On the left of the nakago opening is the number 199 (also in western numbers on on all parts) and on the right of the opening is the mounter's name.

It looks like Oshima to me, but as there is some rubbing there, could it be something else?

Could some of our  Japanese speakers have a look and tell me their opinion please?

Thanks colleagues...

Shigekuni mounter name Oshima 1999.jpg

Hi George, I think a more likely explanation is that Oshima is the owners name rather than the hilt binders/ mounters name . I came across a Kai gunto where the name written on the wood under the Fuchi corresponded with the surname on the surrender tag that came with the sword.

Ian Brooks

• Like 4

Ian and John, both interesting comments.

Ian...in this case the hilt marked Oshima is  on a sword marked to 2nd Lt KUME of the 32nd Div. IJA...surrendered Morotai Island....so the Oshima must? be a mounting shop name.

John...the hilt has a little ink shop logo? under the fuchi  (looks like a mon but is not a hanko, it is rubber stamped ).

Regards,

shigekuni fittings shop stamp close.jpg

Shigekuni  name Oshima  close close.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, george trotter said:

Ian...in this case the hilt marked Oshima is  on a sword marked to 2nd Lt KUME of the 32nd Div. IJA...surrendered Morotai Island....so the Oshima must? be a mounting shop name.

Thank you guys. I am interested in this topic. But could "Oshima" have sold or given the sword to Lt. Kume? That would mean Oshima could still be the original owner, although I think in any case it was put there by the shop - either as their name or the name of the person who ordered it. 

Just thinking out loud,

John C.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..