Polishing of Kanemoto Katana

Soshin

I just wanted to start this new topic about the polishing of my Kanemoto Katana, which has been in the works for over a year. I just received an update from the polisher. The dark spots in the ji and ha have been cleaned, as well as the rust specks on the mune (see before restoration photo below). He is now working with the uchigomori stone for those areas, he will then move on to shiage.

9D669A23-8307-4FCF-9862-5142BFE001ED(Small).thumb.jpg.1aa821fb2677d81d007730ce766a475e.jpg70A00938-D5AC-4274-92E6-C94405404D27(Small).thumb.jpg.3d352ef56fa160e6847cd2f06feb05e5.jpg

At this point I am so far down the "rabbit hole" I will disclose who the professional Japanese sword polisher is. It is Woody Hall who is based out of Las Vegas. Once I get the sword in hand, I will post photos to this topic on NMB. Have a wonderful week everyone. :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cju777 said:

Nice!

How long is the queue these days?

Not sure Chris U., I think you would need to contact Woody directly, but I would suspect the queue has a wait time of about 6-8 months at a minimum.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I am excited to see what the Kanemoto Katana looks like. Here are a few more previous photos of the sword before the polishing restoration that were part of the original post.        

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Woody Hall today. He has been working on my blade since last week and he thinks he should be done in a couple of days. He is going to let me know when he is finished and the blade really to ship. I will keep everyone updated.

• Like 5

I received the Kanemoto Katana today. While the outside lighting on this chilly rainy day was not the best the katana still looked great after getting it unpacked and the Saran Wrap taken off the blade from shipping. (This is a bit harder than the tanto I had polished in the past.) Here are some photos after I cleaned the oil from the blade. The sanbonsugi (三本杉) style hamon made up of a very refined nioi (匂) is extraordinarily strong with this sword. The mune and bo-hi of the sword are now exceptionally clean and completely rust and stain free. I will be submitting this sword to NBTHK shinsa next year.     

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

David looks good from what little we can see... looking for some outside pic. 

Main thing are you happy with it?

Yes, I am incredibly happy with how the polishing turned out. Sometime later on a sunny day I will take better photos with my camera and not my iPhone.     

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Brian said:

Nice classic sanbonsugi. Shinsa should be a breeze. Looks great, enjoy!

Thanks Brian,

I'm not sure about the results of the NBTHK shinsa next year but we will see. I am sure I will learn something by submitting it. Just to refresh everyone's memory this long sword (~73 cm nagasa) has a shorted tang (suriage 磨上). The Kanemoto niji mei is also turned-black (orikaeshi-mei 折返し銘). Here is a photo from an ealier post about my katana.

IMG_1506.thumb.jpg.35294787841f39c3962182c0befb6909.jpg    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..