Mumei Guntō Fake or Real?

• 2 weeks later...

Discussed many times, on many threads.  In the old days, these were immediately labeled as fakes. We now know that there were many swords made in occupied territories. Some of them, like the Java sword, are easily identified. But the rest fall into this identifiable category.  

The bad fakes have angled blade tips, or Damascus steel, or acid engraving on the blade. Swords like these, have normal steel, though poorly made, and maybe not hardened, and true looking Japanese blade tips with convincing aging and wear.  

At the end of the day, no one really knows!

• Like 1

My concern is why are they now all of a sudden showing up?  Why have the older generation of collectors never seen one before?  Why do none have provenance as @PNSSHOGUN likes to say?  As for the metalwork, I have seen craftsmen in the Philippines do better work than this.  Back in the 1980s, one could stand and watch them work making belt buckles and other items for military personnel.

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

My concern is why are they now all of a sudden showing up?  Why have the older generation of collectors never seen one before?  Why do none have provenance as @PNSSHOGUN likes to say?  As for the metalwork, I have seen craftsmen in the Philippines do better work than this.  Back in the 1980s, one could stand and watch them work making belt buckles and other items for military personnel.

But they have been seen before, the problem is that for the last 50 years or more all the smart boys have shouted "Fake" and walked away........ and still do!

• Like 2

Just my two cents, however I am in the island sword camp. My reasoning is that fake parts are generally cast and at least made to resemble the real thing. I just don't see a faker sitting around hand carving all of the pieces that are obviously NOT the real thing. 

John C.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..