Type 98? Fittings say otherwise.

Bridges

Looks like custom made fittings. Late war or island made i don't know. This looks not like fake.

The kabutogane is chissled, also the fuchi and the koigane. To much work for a fake sword. The ito looks Japanese made.

Can you show us the rest of the sword?

image.thumb.png.253bc0c60982869639f2af1b36e7ca90.png

• Like 1

Noah

When you first arrived and was asking about everything and its dog I posted on one year request asking where you were located and if we had someone in the area that might be able to help you with some real swords, you never replied maybe because I replied to your first post "you need to go to the sword forum instead of Nihon to forum."

It wasn't meant to be disrespectful but what you were looking for wasn't here or isn't.

At least you're asking well maybe not this time before you buy.

We'll try to hook you up with a local show, Chicago coming up in April would be a good place to go and walk around.

• Like 2

my bad @Stepheni must have overlooked that topic. I answered that question in another forum, I’m fairly young and message boards like this are entirely new to me so you may have to cut me some slack!  I am located in SC, there are no groups around me dedicated to this art. I have talked to another member who is close by to my brother so I may link up with him and see if we can information swap. Chicago would be a drive but with South Carolina having no groups or shows, that may be my only option. I’ll check out the 1 year request tab. I have Dawsons and Fuller’s guide, I just lack the hands on experience with just about all types. Right now, while I have the books, certain variations like late war and island made types are throwing me for a loop. Vajo also pointed out that the guard is chiseled, I need to develop an eye for that to determine whether something is cast or handmade. I love Dawson’s guide but the angles at which pictures are taken are not the best but then again, nothing is perfect. Ohmura has a great website as well but the pictures are greatly lacking. Right now, pictures are about all I can go off of, without that, I end up bidding $500 on a fake type 😅

I've been cutting newbies slack before Brian took over in 2006 that was my main purpose here to help the new guy, just keep looking. Ebays a minefield you should know that by now. 

Maybe get on AuctionZip see what auctions are in your area or even pawn stores you sometimes can run into a sword there.

GunBroker used to be a good place but as you might have read Brian's response elsewhere it's worse than eBay. Scammers everywhere. I seen here post about North Carolina maybe contact one of those boys It wouldn't be such a long drive.

And always the for sale forum

Plenty come and go there might not be in your price range but you can build that up before you buy eBay put togethers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bridges said:

@vajoRight now, I’m focusing on type 19, 98, 95 and certain Naval guntos.  I love Japanese military blades! I also do not have the budget for older katanas from periods outside the 1900s

If these are your goals, then the sword does not fit your collecting goal, whether fake or island made.

Hamfish

why they chissle all the fittings? Is it it not a little to much work for an modern fake?

image.png.38445e791534c5f9d521666d43a47c6d.png

Seppa is cut out by hand

image.thumb.png.93a39c2f38d670d84d84ae28c5735e1b.png

Every piece is made by hand on this.

image.thumb.png.e7927aac30563b203e5de1f60104d608.png

All that work for a cheap gunto replica?

For me it is a handmade type98 sword. Not Japanese but authentic.

I would really like to see that offer and the blade? Anyone knows where these sword auction is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Noah, if you want to learn from looking and learning at a real sword show then check out the Japanese Sword Show next June in Orlando Florida. That show would be well worth the drive. You will have a great selection for any budget and know what you are buying. Try it

MikeR

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Bridges said:

Hey @Bruce Pennington! I thought this was a late war type 98?!

That's as good a label as any other.  Assuming it's not a fake, which is still possible, but I feel it's not a fake, then we don't know much about the swords made in occupied territories.  We don't know a timeline.  Many Japanese units were sent into vast areas and told to live off the land, with no hope of re-supply.  So, were swords like these made throughout the war?  Or were they just made in the last year when production was moved off the mainland?  It is a common term, recognized by all, so fair enough calling that.  

Sorry for getting vague, but there is little we know about these.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

After all what i learned here about island swords, emergency last stage swords, occupied territories made sword, field repair teams and extemporaneous made field swords i will never say - never.

To much pictures out there with chinese in Japanese uniforms with sandals and crude looking Type98. There is wide range between fake and authentic. This sword is so much individuel made in design and shows so much sign of wear. Someone put a lot of work in this fake.

We all know the typical chinese fake swords. This is not one of them.

Are those swords collectible - no, not for me. Its trash. But also trash can be authentic. And if a collector wants to collect these type of swords? Why not if he likes it.

People collect everything. Some collect ww2 sake cups, others the shitty pants of German soldiers. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..