Incandescent bulb to be relic of the past

To my fellow board members. Just a heads up that in the United States under the Biden administration and Department of Energy announced that there will be a phase out of incandescent light bulbs and banned completely effective July 2023. Only limited applications on halogen and incandescent bulbs that meet efficiency standards which will greatly effect the availability if not completely  of traditional incandescent household bulbs. I use the incandescent bulb for nihonto study and some of you on the board may have the same preference as well depending on light source choice and application of use. Might want to stock up while they are still plentiful and cheap right now. The incandescent light bulb may very well become a relic of the past.

• Like 1

I has become already in Germany. We call that 'progress'.

I have read that the ecological aspect is only one side. The other is that the producing companies stopped to make any money (at these low prices) with the old type, so new product lines had to be invented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a Luddite grouch it really pains me to admit just how awesome modern LED lighting technology has become.  You can get 2700-3000K LED bulbs now that are just as rich, warm, and “natural-seeming” as any incandescent Edison-style bulb.  

I really struggled to adapt at first—“From my cold, dead han… oh these are really nice.”

• Like 2

Despite the acceptability to the human eye, apparently they are also having problems in agriculture finding the right type/blend of substitute light for growing plants, which still need the warm end of the spectrum. 'Warm white' is better for plants than 'daylight white', for example. (Too much blue.)

Amazing Christian, very nice healthy plant. I bought my teenage daughter growing lights and she is really into that stuff. She propagates plants and actually sells rare breeds or species of plants and are in high demand. There  is a demand for that stuff especially in LosAngeles. I went to a plant open house with my daughter where they were selling exotic bulbs of a plant for $400. I saw some plants which were going for $1200 which I couldn’t believe. I am not very good at remembering the names of the plants I guess that is another world onto its own. Very interesting tho!!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..