mei translation help please.

mattlehman

Thanks in advance. The story goes that my grandfather picked this sword off a body in WW2 and marched with it for a few miles in his pant leg before he could ship it back to my grandmother. He had to carry it in his pants because if caught, the officers would take it from him and send it home themselves.

He always wanted to try to find the family (if it was possible) and give it back to them. I learned of that upon his death and it was given to me. My research has given me more questions than answers. It does have the star stamp which is associated with Rikugun Jumei Tosho.

Any help as to the maker or date would be great. I think it was probably a factory made sword, since they would be more common, but I could be wrong. Thanks again

post-1121-14196755357103_thumb.jpg

post-1121-14196755362276_thumb.jpg

post-1121-14196755367096_thumb.jpg

Horikawa Jiuemon Kunitake was born in 1897 and worked as a Rikugun Jumei Tosho during WWII. He founded Akita Prefecture Danrensho and worked as the first president. He was regarded as the best Showa smith that worked in Akita with Shibata Ka. This is who made the sword not who may have carried it. You need personal info, like surrender tags, or notes from your grandpa as to where it was obtained or maybe even by family mon on the fittings to give you direction in this kind of search. John

It has a star stamp, so chances are it's traditionally made, not mass-produced. However, not having a surrender tag (since it wasn't exactly "surrendered") makes finding the descendants of the owner virtually impossible. And even if you could locate them, I'd think twice about asking them "do you want the sword of your grandfather back that my grandfather took from him after he / his buddies killed him?" Possibly not a great conversation starter ... :oops:

once again, thank you so very much. This is all very interesting to me, but ridiculously confusing to research....like trying to read Japanese....

One thing that confused me was why the number 487 would be stamped on the tang? Why would they have used english numbers?

I'm afraid all of that information would have been lost when my grandfather died. I know the sword was taken from a dead body somewhere near Iwo Jima.

Thanks again for all your help and information. I hope you all have a wonderful year.

Matt, try to think the other way around: a Russian approaching me, trying to give me the Mauser his grandfather took from my grandfather after he stepped on the Russian's land mine that ripped him into pieces.

As honorable as the intentions on both sides are, some things in the past should be laid to rest, not old wounds opened again. Just my very personal opinion.

Fair enough. I could understand that. Doesn't sound like I would ever be able to find the original family anyways. Truth be told, I've admired it since I was a child and would have been torn to see it go.

Next question, which is more for curiosity and will help me in storing it and displaying it.

What is the range for it's value? I would never sell it, but should I keep it in a gun safe or display it in my house?

Havent seen to many "star stamped" Rikugun Jumei Tosho in Gunto mounts,usually in "44 pattern Gunto(erroniously"Marine landing" swords)Usually these swords are of better quality than most blades you will find in these mounts.

Greg

must have been thinking else where when I looked at the star stamp, a little 101 on handling the sword, always keep the sword cutting edge up. The sword is made to be pulled out on its back or mune. Please check the links for proper care. Surprised that this was not caught by others. If you have time it would be nice to see the full blade sans mounts as its always a pleasure to see well made gendaito and from the looks you have a fine one.

As Greg said, it is quite unusual to find these in standard Gunto mounts instead of the 1944 pattern mounts. Nice find, and looks like a blade worth restoring if you can.

All advice nowdays goes against trying to return it. I think you would be showing the correct respect by looking after it and respecting what it represents. (Or selling to me :lol: )

Brian

• 6 months later...

I can think of a few I'd tell you to avoid at all cost.

I'm not much on gendai value and I'm not familiar with the smith but here goes. You can figure at least $2,000 and probably no more than $4,000. Maybe someone who follows that market can get closer to a value and/or correct me?

Grey

• 9 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..