Kyu Corner

• 2 months later...

In this entire thread, I have only seen 1 cavalry officers kyu. I am guessing these are as rare as the naval officers kyu's (with real blades). Asking because I just picked-up a company grade 1886 pattern cavalry sword with kamon on the backstrap. Added bonus is the fittings from Suya are in excellent condition. Blade is in excellent condition and looks to be a Murata/zohito and is mumei.

Anyone have any additional information on the cavalry kyugunto's and their rarity compared to other kyugunto?

Kamon Close.jpg

Suya Fittings.jpg

Hilt Overall.jpg

Close 2.jpg

Overall 1.jpg

Close 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That's quite a find, Dan, and quite gorgeous.  Could be the first I've ever seen.  I think there's been a couple NCO cavalry swords bantered about NMB, but not Officer Kyu.

There was one in this same thread that was actually a field officer cavalry version. <— quite nice! It was actually posted by you on page 3 of this thread, 5 th post down. Russian collector from guns.ru.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Volker62 said:

uploading error Bruce..

Seriously, though, I checked my chart and don’t have a Sword from you with a brown tassel. So if that’s yours, and if the tassel is brown, I would appreciate some more photos.

Do me a favor, and post your pictures here:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After having this on display at the Las Vegas show, I was asked to post here. Took me a while to get the drool :Drool: cleaned-up that @Brian left on it. lol

Beautiful 1883 pattern Navy Kyu-gunto with signed and papered katana from Bungo ju Fujiwara Sadayuki earning 76 points at the Chicago NTHK-NPO shinsa. Most interesting feature is the tobiyaki found just above the shinogi line, with one or two on each side of the blade that are in both the shinogi and the ji areas. With the shinogi being burnished, it has been impossible for me to catch the tobiyaki in the photos. The shagreen (sharkskin) saya is completly unblemished and in museum condition, as well as the fittings. Hope you like!

Kyu1.jpg

Kyu2.jpg

Kyu3.jpg

Kyu5.jpg

Kyu6.jpg

Kyu4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Bruce Pennington@Stephen@Brian

Well, I finally got around to taking some quick photos. I've photographed them as a pair, but they're two very different blades. Both in army mounts though.

The wakizashi is a 21.5" blade signed simply "Nobuyoshi" and could be any of the late 1500 to middle 1600's Nobuyoshi. It has a very active choji hamon with a lot of tobiyaki. Dan from my ITK group likes to call it "florid choji". I like to think its almost like paint or blood dripping. Nothing special about the mounts other than the condition being very good with much of the gold plate/wash present. Good portions of the chrome on the saya is gone, but the condition is stable.

The longer blade is a 25.75" cut-down tachi which I believe is from the Late Kamakura era. It appears to have been around the 30 to 31" mark originally. The nakago has three mekugi-ana and retains about 1.5" of the original length of the nakago. The hamon is a very narrow razor-thin suguha and is very difficult to capture. The mounts have a kamon on the backstrap. I believe it is a Tokugawa crest. It is missing one seppa unfortunately. But the chrome plating is near immaculate on the saya.

That's about all I know of the two. I'd welcome opinions on school of the longer blade as I've no idea without visible hada and a barely visible hamon through the clouding.

Edit: apologies for the photos as usual. Working with a phone camera and then an image compressor means much is lost. They'll both be with me at the Chicago show this year again too.

20240204_132243-min.jpg

20240204_132334-min.jpg

20240204_132505-min.jpg

20240204_133035-min.jpg

20240204_133154-min.jpg

20240204_132714-min.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3