Lazer rust removal

All joking aside, it looks like something that would add to the problem, not solve it.  Looks to me like it would mask things by etching  the surface and unnecessarily soften the geometry...leading to more metal loss, not less.  Would be nice if someone familiar with these devices would weigh in, it would save us the speculation.

-S-

• Like 3

Looks to me like it would mask things by etching  the surface and unnecessarily soften the geometry

No, it's straightforward to set the power of the laser to simply remove rust/oxidation, without making any other changes. Think of the process like "hyper-oxidation," that causes Fe2O3 & Fe3O4 to break down into their component elements.

• Like 1

Great tool.

Before 

article-0-13551319000005DC-666_634x494.j

After

honey-fitz-kennedys-jacht-erstrahlt-im-a

One one day  :laughing:

Judging by the patina, I’d say no older than late Edo. Probably a shinshinto, utsuchi boat. Top seems to be suriage. Pyrhana 1993 seems to be a later addition mei, so I’d say we have a gimei boat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..