These Are My 2 Swords - Introduction And Test

jdelayknee

post-4880-0-47769800-1552156407_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-93872600-1552156418_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-30997800-1552156432_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-87517400-1552156464_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-17651100-1552156475_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-25641400-1552156486_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

My name is Jerry D. and I'm new to the forum.  I am a retired engineer and live in Belmont, NC.  My father brought back 2 swords from Burma where he was a member of OSS Detachment 101 in 1944/45.  They were stolen by some kids when we were stationed in Ft Jackson, SC in the 60's.  They were recovered but not before the kids played with them and left them in the woods.  The damage was significant with nicks to the blade (they actually had sword fights!  They used to be razor sharp.  Wonder no one was injured) , damage to the Tsuka's (handles, practicing with terminology so bear with me) and rust.  They were soldier issue from the warriors my dad fought so I don't think they are extremely valuable but they have legacy value for my family and I'd like to get them repaired/restored for presentation/display purposes.  I do not want to have this work done by someone that is going to it the wrong way so I joined the forum to get your guidance and learn somethings about these treasures.  

This is a short post to introduce myself and see if my pictures are the correct size.  These pics  are for one of the two swords  and have file names specifically for reference purposes.

Thanks in advance for your help.  I will re post this into another discussion area if necessary.  Let me know.

Jerry 

Hello Jerry,

Since this sword appears to be signed, otherwise the condition is too poor to be able to judge this sword based upon its workmanship, why don't we begin with the mei (signature). So, if you could, please post clear readable close up images of the nakago (tang) and signature oriented from the sword end (top) downward, it will give the helpful members here someplace to begin. 

The fittings look interesting as well. The tsuba also appears to be signed and clear images of the mei on the tusba will get things started there, too.

Look forward to more ... thank you.

Hello Jerry,

Looks to me like

和泉守兼定

Izumi-no-kami Kanesada

If so, and if the signature is authentic, it means that the soldier who owned the sword used an old, traditionally-made sword and put it in military mounts for the war. There is another very recent thread on a similar find that will have some useful information for you. The damage to the sword mounts is unfortunate, but you shouldn't lose too much sleep over damaged WW2 mounts. If the sword is an authentic centuries-old samurai sword, the WW2 mounts would have been incongruous and not highly valued by a nihontō collector.

(This is not to say the mounts wouldn't be valued by a militaria or war-sword aficionado. Of course nice WW2 mounts are desirable for collectors of these things, but in your case the sword could be much more important, and much older than WW2 memorabilia).

Anyway, as Franco says, better pictures of the mei (signature) and of the sword may help us determine if the sword is an authentic, traditionally-made sword, or if it is something else. 

And thank you for adding your name. We spend a lot of time haranguing new posters to add their names. You nailed it on the first go-round. 

Here is the other thread you might find interesting

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/27429-captured-wwii-sword/ 

Welcome, Jerry. Nice to have another engineer on the forum. Hope you're enjoying retirement as much as I am.

To answer many of your questions, you're going to need to understand the vocabulary - there are just too many meaning-specific terms to try to pick them up from context. If you haven't already invested in some reference books, please do a quick search to see some lists that have been posted here many times. Spending $100 on Amazon will have an immediate ROI. Kantei (sword evaluation) is done in a very-methodical way, & one of our advanced members, Markus Sesko, has posted a university-quality series of posts on the topic at https://markussesko.com/2015/02/06/kantei-introduction/.

Aloha,

Ken

Hello

First let me say arigato.  It looks like I've found some really helpful people.  All your comments and suggestions are helpful, and your points suggesting I commit to study on the subject are well taken.  I don't expect you to teach me, I am honored you are giving me the opportunity to learn.

I have many more pictures and can take more;  Here are a couple. 

post-4880-0-43242200-1552252670_thumb.jpgpost-4880-0-31717700-1552252691_thumb.jpg

I left off the last one

和泉守兼定

Izumi-no-kami Kanesada saku

This is a site for learning, so by all means ask questions and feel free to use us as an educational source. If we know the answer, we usually offer it. If we don't know the answer, but know where to find it, we can point you to it. 

If you didn't already know, the mei above breaks down into

和泉守 Izumi-no-kami = Location + title

兼定 Kanesada = name of the swordsmith

作 saku = made by

So:  Kanesada, Governor of Izumi Province, made this.

Izumi is the old name of a province in feudal Japan. It was located in what is today known as Ōsaka. 守 is usually translated as "governor", but it is just an honorary title. It doesn't mean that Kanesada was an actual politician or ruler. Kanesada was the swordsmith. It is a very common name, so there were many smiths who used the name Kanesada. Its hard (sometimes impossible) to pinpoint the exact one unless you do a fairly comprehensive, expert examination of the sword. This is complicated by the presence of so many fakes on the market. For popular smiths, like Magoroku, the saying is that "out of 10 Magoroku blades, 11 of them are fake" .

I don't know enough to pass judgment on all but the extremely obvious fakes, so I don't know about yours. 

This article by the peerless Markus Sesko should also be useful

https://markussesko.com/2013/04/30/the-last-of-the-kanesada/

• Like 1

So, I'd like to address a Plan B for my swords.  I'm getting the message that a trip to Japan and a 4 digit $ investment is the only way to go if the steel is to be touched.

I do not want to insult the sword or Kanesada,  the craftsman who may have made it, but that is not something I can afford.

What about repairing the Tsuka (Handle).  Not sure if the term "mounts" I've picked up from this forum applies to the Tsuka.  Is that correct? It seems that everything except the steel itself might be in this category.

I think that might enable me to at least display them instead of condemning them to a closet for eternity.

Is there anyone you might endorse that can do this?

Dear Jerry.

It would seem a perfectly reasonable approach to have the hilt/tsuka rebound.  From your images it is missing menuki/ornaments under the wrap and the kashira/pommel cap.  One way aroumd this would be to have someone who knows what they are doing to source a pair of WWII menuki and have a horn kashira fitted.  That would look just fine and allow you to display the sword.  

Have a look here,  Tsukamaki.net  (Sorry the link doesn't work, highlight and right click). I am sure that others will recommend craftsmen who could do the job as well.

If you have not yet removed the habaki/collar around the blade then do have a go at that, there are threads here about how to shift stubborn habaki if you need.  As Jean-Pierre says just keep the blade lightly oiled and don't let anyone touch it with their bare hands, common cause of rusting.

Enjoy!

All the best.

Hi Jerry; your sword is best kept in a shirasaya (wooden resting scabbard) which is usually made as part of the polishing process. The kissaki (tip) has been poorly reshaped, and corrosion is pretty deep there, and is unlikely to completely polish out. I like that you are trying to maintain the sword as a memorial to your father's service; allow me to add my respect and admiration for his service. Sending you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Re:  Repair of my tsuka.  I contacted Tsukamaki.net the only way allowed -  by a message through their web site.  This was several days ago and I have heard nothing.  I have sent a follow-up message but I'm not impressed with dealing with an outfit that is so un responsive.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting this done?  I'm interested in them using the original parts if practical.  I'm worried that if I buy an off-the-shelf part it may not fit properly.

Any suggestion for how to proceed will be appreciated.

The pictures of my original parts are at beginning of this thread.

I have decided to hold off repair of the blade for now.  I think a well made/repaired Tsuka will be a huge improvement for the purposes of displaying it to friends and family.  The blade has damage but it is "original".

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jerry

Not sure if the term "mounts" I've picked up from this forum applies to the Tsuka.  Is that correct? It seems that everything except the steel itself might be in this category.

The terms you're looking for are "koshirae" & "tosogu," Jerry. The plain wooden sheath is "shirasaya."

Hi Friends

Tsuka repair progress:

People suggested through forum so far

Tsukamaki - No response after repeated attempts. Not sure they are in business anymore

Jizamurai_Customs - Contact info not responsive.  Not sure about them in business either

The next 2 I found with assistance of Goggle.  They appear to be legit and I have initiated contact but no response yet.

Shining Moon 13 - https://www.shiningmoon13.com/

Nihonzashi   http://www.nihonzashi.com/default.aspx

If you have any other suggestions or personal experience with the above I would appreciate input.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..