Not Nihonto...but

He knows this is a Nambu. These are not typical marks. I am curious myself. Also never seen this short barrel version of a Type 14?

Me either, I'm wondering if it is a custom field modification. I have never seen or heard of a variant like this expect for the "baby" Type B Nambu. Perhaps these kanji can shed some more light on this unique example.

Dear all.

I'm well outside my comfort zone but from, "Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan", by Harry Darby, page137. "A number of type 14's have been reported with barrels shorter than the standard 117mm length.  Several have also been adorned with special simulated characters, symbols and numerals, perhaps as an indication that the barrel was in fact, "officially" modified by the Japanese military."  He goes on to illustrate a gun identical to the one in this thread with the caption, "Short barreled T-14's are are the products of "basement arsenals."  The gun he shows has identical markings to this one.

Hope that helps.

All the best

• Like 1

It may be a Chinese type 19 based on the Nambu type 14. Check the Chinese version. John

I think only a handful of those still exist and they have a different trigger mechanism. I think I can make out Nagoya arsenal stamps and 1943 date stamp, the mystery deepens!

EDIT: Mystery solved, thank you Geraint.

Steve,

You are right to be suspicious.

adorned with special simulated characters, symbols and numerals

Darby also says that , "Several reliable Japanese ordnance experts have confirmed that the only the prescribed barrel length and 8mm calibre were ever adopted by the military."    Hi style of writing is a little odd but he clealry concludes that these were not official pistols but were marked to make it look as though they were.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..