What Is Your Favorite Hamon-Hada Combo And Why?

Guest Rayhan

Ladies and Gentlemen, what is your favorite Hamon-Hada combo on a sword? We all have one that speaks to us and even if it is from a school that held to its principles and never strayed from their signature combo or a new era like ShinShinto where the experimentation was all the rage, there is that one that we love to see, so! Have at you, what is yours?

Mine is the Aoe combination of their Suguha and Chirimen (itame and mokume mix). Why? Some say the Hada looks like silk crepe but i prefer to liken it to the pearl white beach sand on a tropical beach! The mix is just beautiful and the Hamon I love for its absolute functional strength. If a sword was going to take a hammering in combat you want those vibrations moving evenly so the Suguha helps. Here is a picture from my Aoe. 

Aoe.bmp

Any contributors? 

• Like 1

I am with you regarding Aoe, or at least Chu-Aoe which I enjoy a lot.

Perhaps slightly more than Aoe I would go for the nashiji and suguha of Awataguchi.

Having said that there are many combinations that work extremely well to create something beautful

In the past I have made the mistake of imposing limitations on myself as to what I should like (a bit like a teenager in the 60s only following one style of music) In reality there are incredible works from most tranditons which should be judged not against each other but the standard for that school and then enjoyed.

• Like 1

We must not limit ourselves here I agree, the variety is just too much! And Suguha is one of those Hamon that flows across all traditions which is great to see from an evolutionary perspective too  :)

AWATAGUCHI! Sugoi!  :Drool:  :thumbsup:

It's too hard to pick just one, I could maybe settle for 4 in no particular order:

Awataguchi  sugu and nashiji

Soshu O-mokume and gentle notare

Oei Bizen koshi-hiraki gunome-choji midare and mokume/O-Mokume

Fukouka Ichimonji, kinda like Yamatorige.

While I appreciate and like the noble, solemn elegance of suguha and nashiji / chirimen as exemplified by Aoe or Awataguchi or Rai, my favourite combination is flamboyant choji midare with mokume/itame and utsuri

Exemplified by my Ichimonji (apologies but the pictures have dust and other artefacts and do now show the usturi or hada too well)

Michael

post-1910-0-88323900-1485778018_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So many beautiful groups of swords admire and enjoy, but I have always been taken (and learned from) the Awataguchi hada and hamon, Aoi works...but then a fine Hizen hada and suguha...well, what's not to be admired! While I prefer early swords and what you see in them, here I am admiring Naokatu/Naotane's works, too. My most favorite will still fall back to what you see in Awataguchi and most other Kamakura swords. Ron STL

• Like 1

A very fine ko-itame, densely covered with ji-nie. Nashiji-hada, chirimen-hada, konuka-hada, etc. That paired with a suguha (or suguha-based) hamon in consistent ko-nie with a bright habuchi that is not too tight. Ko-Aoe, Awataguchi, Rai and top Hizen-to are all very appealing to me.

post-457-0-45946100-1485805819_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-00214300-1485805820_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-46526700-1485805820_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-97198800-1485805820_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-44672300-1485805821_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-94953400-1485805821_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-45815600-1485805822_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-96430300-1485805822_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sue Aoe swords I have been lucky enough to see are my favorite. With their tight Ko-Itame turning to areas of Mokume, it always reminds me of a deep powerful river where eddies rise and swirl above unknown features in its depths. On the obverse, blades with hamon that look like horses teeth seem to evoke revulsion in me. All stamping hooves and slathering gnashing teeth. There is a word for this sort of attraction and revulsion combined. It slips my mind.

Tough for me to not vote for this one - since it was the one that got away, but is now on its way back to me. It's almost everything one could hope for in a blade from the Ikkansai group. Beautiful itame hada, an active nie-deki hamon (they worked in gunome, choji, midare, and suguha - using nioi-deki when working is straight bizen den vs. this soden-bizen work). It received 78 points at Tampa shinsa last year, when I mistakenly sold it to Curran ;-). The only hallmark of the group that it's missing is horimono, but that is easy to overlook when you consider how much of the hada would have been lost.

post-736-0-28480500-1485918467_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..